best network path format

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

thirdprize

best network path format

Post by thirdprize »

I have my files on a network drive. I now notice that some of them have the UNC file name in their path "[SOUND]\music\" and some have the mapped drive for that folder "s:\music\". Which is the best format and can I get them all to match without rebuilding the db from scratch? If i do a rebuild, which format should i use?
Lowlander

Re: best network path format

Post by Lowlander »

The best is UNC Path (which would be \\NetworkName\folder) as Windows can change the DriveID on Mapped Drives (although this can be fixed within MediaMonkey).

"[SOUND]\music\" indicates a drive that had a drive letter, but which either is no longer present or had the driveID changed. Do files with this Path still play in MediaMonkey?
thirdprize

Post by thirdprize »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:54 pm "[SOUND]\music\" indicates a drive that had a drive letter, but which either is no longer present or had the driveID changed. Do files with this Path still play in MediaMonkey?
No they don't.

Is it possible to copy all my playlists out, rebuild the db andimport them again? They are all smart playlists.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No, as files are inaccessible MM will ignore them on import. The best approach would be (unless you already scanned new drive/network path) to select all those that start with "[SOUND]" (easily identified under Entire library -> Locations) and then use File -> Locate moved/missing tracks -> point to new location and then arm with patience and wait because result dialog is self explanatory and if all ok find all tracks in new location.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

AutoPlaylists can't be exported as AutoPlaylists. However as they're Criteria based they don't need to be exported. Even if you remove files from MediaMonkey and add them again the AutoPlaylists will auto-update.

If you're switching from Mapped Drives to UNC Paths use Locate Moved/Missing Files for the files that are failing to play right now. If you're maintaining Mapped Drives you can re-assign the driveID instead.

You have both the Dead Links node (for files missing from available drives) and the Disconnected node (for files on drives no longer available) to help find files MediaMonkey can't locate.