Rebuild Database Wipes Some Playlists Clean

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

telecore

Rebuild Database Wipes Some Playlists Clean

Post by telecore »

I've been using the same DB file between MM4 and MM5 for over a year - whenever I run MM4 or MM5, I have scripts to copy the most recent database from one to the other - (I have the compatibility setting turned ON) - when I try to perform "Rebuild Database" under File->Manage Database in MM5, it wipes a lot of my playlists clean - I think it may only wipe smart playlists clean, but I am not sure - the other options: "rebuild full-text search index", "optimize database: and ""clean URL cache" do not appear to do any corruption to the database - any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Lowlander

Re: Rebuild Database Wipes Some Playlists Clean

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About)? Please retry this with the latest beta as it includes a fix for this. Please let us know if the problem persists with MediaMonkey5.0.4.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

telecore wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:25 pm I've been using the same DB file between MM4 and MM5 for over a year - whenever I run MM4 or MM5, I have scripts to copy the most recent database from one to the other - (I have the compatibility setting turned ON) - when I try to perform "Rebuild Database" under File->Manage Database in MM5, it wipes a lot of my playlists clean
The Rebuild Database" option is new to MM5. MM4 only had Optimise database, and that option remains available in MM5.

Optimise database will do housekeeping, including garbage collection to compact disk storage space.

Are you sure that you need to run the new Rebuild option?
It was designed to be used if your database has become corrupted. It starts off by deleting a lot of database tables, and rebuilding them from the ground up. I have read elsewhere that playlists are impacted in some small way, but I am not sure because I don't use playlists.

Lowlander may be right that there is some improvement in this area, but I haven't noticed any notification of that.

I wouldn't be running rebuild unnecessarily. It is for situations where MM5 will not start, or crashes when trying to add new tracks, etc. I have been using MM heavily for 10+ years, and I don't recall that ever happening to me.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

I noticed a few times that filter in Auto-Playlists were reset, if they pick a criteria "is" and some selection from a list. Like "Genre is [x] Pop". Those selection is empty after a database optimisation/rebuild.

It never occured (for me) when filter ist set to "contains Pop".

A few updates around 5.01 made it a lot better, but still occurs from time to time.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
telecore

Post by telecore »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:20 pm Which Build (Help > About)? Please retry this with the latest beta as it includes a fix for this. Please let us know if the problem persists with MediaMonkey5.0.4.
I am using version 5.0.3.2627 - I'll try the latest beta..

UPDATE: I tried the latest beta 5.0.4.2663 and it also wipes the playlists clean - BTW - I am running in portable mode (not sure if that makes a difference)
Last edited by telecore on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
telecore

Post by telecore »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:36 am Are you sure that you need to run the new Rebuild option?
I don't have to rebuild - I noticed that Optimize does shrink the DB file size quite a bit - I was just testing MM5 as I plan to move to using MM5 more or less exclusively and decrease using MM4 - one main reason for this is that I plan on updating my iPhone to IOS 16 and I am not seeing that MM4 can sync. to that version - I still need MM4 for the capability to export to iTunes XML - I use iTunes as an airplay server
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

telecore wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:07 am I don't have to rebuild - I noticed that Optimize does shrink the DB file size quite a bit - I was just testing MM5 ..
That's good :)

The Rebuild does "work" from the POV that it strips a damaged database down to the bare bones, and then rebuilds a new operational database. ... probably with privisos about some types of damage being fatal

What is rebuild, is all the redundancies that allow MM5 to do complex jobs in a quick responsive manner.

They may be able to recover all playlist info, I don't know ... but it would still be a useful safety net, ie. being able to quickly get yourself a functional db, even if some of the playlists are toast (IMO). ... Easy for me to say I suppose, since I don't use playlists. :)
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please offer your database to Support and indicated a couple of AutoPlaylists affected for testing? You may need to upload to a cloud storage like OneDrive and include a link to the shared file in the Support Ticket.
telecore

Post by telecore »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:59 am Can you please offer your database to Support and indicated a couple of AutoPlaylists affected for testing? You may need to upload to a cloud storage like OneDrive and include a link to the shared file in the Support Ticket.
I just submitted a ticket with a link to OneDrive - it's the 1st time that I have used OneDrive, so let me know if there's any issue getting the file - thanks!
telecore

Post by telecore »

I tried new version 5.0.4.2667 - it is improved, but some auto-playlists are still getting wiped clean
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please provide feedback at Support as to which AutoPlaylists are affected/what Criteria are lost.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
as addon to above, if your DB changed please supply us new DB with playlists that are affected on rebuild.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
telecore

Post by telecore »

So far, test build 2670 seems to have fixed the problem(s) for my database...