Track Levelling how-to

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Track Levelling how-to

Post by Rob_S »

Hi, all

I have some tracks I converted from records and tapes using Audacity, but I now realize they were encoded in mp3 format but at a much lower volume level than my other tracks.

Can the "Tools, Level Track Volume" be used on selected tracks to increase the volume of these specific tracks so it will play that way on other devices as well??

If so how does it determine how much the volume will be increased? Does anyone know what setting to use to get say a 30% increase in the volume?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Track Levelling how-to

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, but you set to what volume (in dB) you want it leveled instead of by what percentage.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So then in that case, how would I know what volume in db my other normal sounding tracks are encoded at?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If MediaMonkey leveled files before it would per those settings. If others created the files you can see the offset by using Analyze Volume. It will calculate the offset and show it in the Track Volume field.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So, I hate to tell you, that is still not clear. If it shows an offset, what value in db does zero offset correspond to?

I am trying to establish a baseline that I should be trying to aim for.

Putting it another way, if the track on question shows -5, what value is required to fix it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The one you set in the settings. By default this is 89dB.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thanks, that is most helpful I'll have a go at it :)