Unwanted/unsuspected change in rating

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

OldPilot

Unwanted/unsuspected change in rating

Post by OldPilot »

Today I was listening to my Jazz tracks, I selected the genre and all the tracks were displayed in the main window. I intended to set rating using keyboard shortcut. Not being able to remember exactly the shortcut, I first tried Cntrl-3. Nothing happened. Then I tried ALT-3. Then some process started. The first clue that something was amiss was a screen notification that a certain file was not available to a tag update. All pretty much greek to me.

Then I saw that all 3,234 tracks in my Jazz genre had been updated to 3 stars. !! Cerrtainly not intended.

This brings up several questions:
1. Is there a backup anywhere that I could have used to restore the ratings that I had before? I tried CNTL-Z, hopefully, but it did not work.

2. Is it possible to restore the view from MM4 where the rating panel was available at the bottom of the screen to enter ratings with mouse?. The shortcut system seems to dangerous to use at present.

3. What is the best way to rate the Now Playing track? The keyboard shortcut only changes rating for the selected track, which may not be the one that I want to rate.
drakinite

Re: Unwanted/unsuspected change in rating

Post by drakinite »

Very sorry that that happened.

1. If you have MM configured to do regular database backups (File > Manage database), you may be able to restore it by restoring an old MM database backup.
2. Yes. Tools > Options > Layout > Player > Metadata, check the "Rating" checkbox
3. You can see the hotkeys in Tools > Options > Hotkeys: the default hotkey for rating the now playing file is Ctrl + Alt + 0, 1, 2, etc. But, like you, I personally prefer to do it with the buttons in the player.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.