Sync metadata from device to pc

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Zye1984

Sync metadata from device to pc

Post by Zye1984 »

I'm still having trouble understanding what to do with syncing metadata from my device to pc.
Either I don't understand the wikis/knowledge base, or I've done something wrong.
I don't want to use wifi sync.
I don't want it to Auto-Sync, because sometimes I will need to put the data from the PC to the device.

Here's the rundown of what happened today:

The files on my PC are unrated.
I have my phone connected via cable, enabled file transfer.
I chose my Pixel 5 in the Tree and went to the "Auto-Sync (--->Library) tab.
I have "Auto-Sync new files and playlists from the device to the PC" checked.
I have "Confirm updates" checked.
I have "Auto-Sync file metadata from the device to the PC" checked.
I have what I want synced in music folder in the tree for syncing checked. (Though I only wanted one folder because I wanted to test this, but those folders weren't available to singularly select for some reason)
I click on Auto-Sync, it does it's thing. It asks to use rating from WMP and itunes, I went ahead and checked those. I think this was a mistake.
I checked the files on my PC via mediamonkey and they are still not rated.
I went back to where I was in the sync device to library and tried again. It found other files not synced for some reason, but not as many.
I went back to the files on my PC, still didn't have the meta data.
I checked the music on my Android, metadata was completely destroyed for 3 albums, and the album art from one album was copied to other albums.
--------
Other than choosing sync with wmp and itunes, what did I do wrong?
Lowlander

Re: Sync metadata from device to pc

Post by Lowlander »

Zye1984 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:44 pmI click on Auto-Sync, it does it's thing. It asks to use rating from WMP and itunes, I went ahead and checked those.
It sounds like you use Add/Rescan Files instead as it would ask this, not Auto-Sync.
Zye1984

Post by Zye1984 »

It sounds like you use Add/Rescan Files instead as it would ask this, not Auto-Sync.
Ah your right, I did try that too, but only within one folder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What did you use on the device to change metadata?
Zye1984

Post by Zye1984 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:37 pm What did you use on the device to change metadata?
I'm using MediaMonkey Pro for Android and MediaMonkey for PC. Basically I'm just trying to transfer my ratings to the PC, that's it.

I always seem to have an issue with this so I generally do so manually, but I thought I'd try again. It's most likely user error coupled with...not the most user-friendly interface.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd suggest upgrading to MediaMonkey 5 as MediaMonkey 4 is no longer developed.
Zye1984

Post by Zye1984 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:36 pm I'd suggest upgrading to MediaMonkey 5 as MediaMonkey 4 is no longer developed.
=O and I just updated it on the 16th to the latest of the previous version, haha. (I rarely use my PC)

I just got 5 now. =)
Zye1984

Post by Zye1984 »

Once again Media Monkey has deleted my metadata trying to move it from my device to the PC. I again chose Sync List (Device ---> Library) I have Media Monkey 5.

EDIT:
I just noticed there is a message saying syncing through a USB is unreliable. Is this the cause of of what's happening?