Migrating podcast subscriptions to new computer

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ThurstonBT

Migrating podcast subscriptions to new computer

Post by ThurstonBT »

I am attempting to migrate my podcast SUBSCRIPTIONS (cf. podcast EPISODES) to a new computer. I am following these instructions: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... diamonkey/

1) I have exported my MediaMonkey podcast subscriptions, on the old computer, to an OPML file.
2) I have moved the podcast episode files and the OPML file to the new computer.
3) On the new computer: I have "Add/Recan" the moved podcast episode files to media MediaMonkey.
4) On the new computer: I have, for the OPML file, "Right click on the Podcasts > Podcast Directories node in the Media Tree and click Add directory in MediaMonkey 5".
5) The problem that I observe is MediaMonkey (on the new computer) fails to include the RSS URL for the podcast subscription in the added directory, even though the RSS URLs are in the OPML file.
7) Do I understand correctly that it is necessary to add the appropriate RSS URL for each podcast subscription BY HAND? Really?
Lowlander

Re: Migrating podcast subscriptions to new computer

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) did you export the OPML with and which build did you import them into? It's working for me.
ThurstonBT

Post by ThurstonBT »

Lowlander --
Thank you for your response
MediaMonkey build for OPML Export: 5.0.3.2627
MediaMonkey build for OPML Import: 5.0.3.2627
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I woudl suggest that you upgrade to latest build from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ThurstonBT

Post by ThurstonBT »

1) I have installed the newest version of MediaMonkey[1]. My active podcast subscriptions still have the problem blank RSS feeds that I describe above.

2) I deinstalled MediaMonkey. I reinstalled the newest version of MediaMonkey[1]. Without performing an "Add/Rescan Files to the Library ...", I note that active podcast subscriptions that I would expect to have been removed by the de-re-install still appear.

3) ) I deinstall MediaMonkey. I perform a COMPLETE MediaMonkey de-install [2]

4) I re-reinstall the newest version of MediaMonkey[1].

5) I load the OPML file from my old computer into MediaMonkey[3].

6) I successful test that I can subscribe to a podcast listed in "Podcast Directory" from the OPML file. I see that I now have 1 ACTIVE podcast subscription listed under "Podcast" -> "Subscriptions" with a correct RSS feed.

7) I "Add/Scan" the directory containing the podcast episode files that I moved from my old computer.

8) Looking under "Podcast" -> "Subscriptions", I see the >50 ACTIVE podcast subscriptions from my old computer. ALL of these ACTIVE podcast subscriptions have blank RSS URL fields. THIS IS THE PROBLEM that I am attempting to address.

8a) I suspect that I am seeing a MediaMonkey defect/BUG. I wish that someone would say:
"Yeah, that's MediaMonkey BUG. Tough luck. You need to fix the RSS feed for your active podcast subscriptions by hand."

Ref.
[1] https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
[2] https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
[3] https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... diamonkey/
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

6) Why not subscribe to all Podcasts?

8 ) You scanned episodes, they don't contain subscriptions.
ThurstonBT

Post by ThurstonBT »

@Lowlander -

As I wrote above: "I suspect that I am seeing a MediaMonkey defect/BUG. I wish that someone would say:
'Yeah, that's MediaMonkey BUG. Tough luck. You need to fix the RSS feed for your active podcast subscriptions by hand.' "

I suspect that I am just seeing yet ANOTHER MediaMonkey bug; can anyone suggest a podcatcher for Windows that displays fewer bugs than MediaMonkey?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So, is it fair to say that this, like auto-playlists, in MM5 it is not easy to backup restore or transfer to new computer???

I think it should be, as subscribing anew to 50 podcasts is lots of work
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So far there doesn't seem to be a bug. Episodes don't contain the subscription URL, thus when importing Episodes this isn't available. You can export the feeds themselves from MediaMonkey which will contain the URL's for the subscriptions as well as take the existing database to a new PC which will then have all your subscriptions.

If you're having an issue with importing the OPMP directory that would be a bug.
ThurstonBT

Post by ThurstonBT »

Lowlander --

Per your "If you're having an issue with importing the OPMP directory that would be a bug." I get the impression that you didn't read my post, above.

To wit: "I load the OPML file from my old computer into MediaMonkey"
... "I see that I now have 1 ACTIVE podcast subscription listed under "Podcast" -> "Subscriptions" with a correct RSS feed"
... "Looking under "Podcast" -> "Subscriptions", I see the >50 ACTIVE podcast subscriptions from my old computer. ALL of these ACTIVE podcast subscriptions have blank RSS URL fields. THIS IS THE PROBLEM that I am attempting to address."

Clearly, Lowlander " having an issue with [the result of] importing the OPMP directory", "that would be a bug."
ThurstonBT

Post by ThurstonBT »

@Rob_S: TRUE. Your assessment, just below is accurate.

I'm not clear whether I'm running into a bug or a known defect in MediaMonkey but I'd like to find a Podcatcher that has fewer problems than MediaMonkey.
Rob_S wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:00 pm So, is it fair to say that this, like auto-playlists, in MM5 it is not easy to backup restore or transfer to new computer???

I think it should be, as subscribing anew to 50 podcasts is lots of work
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When you import the OPML you should see the Subscriptions on it in the Podcasts > Podcast Directories. Is that not the case?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Refer to point 5 of the op, he says the RSS url is missing....
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In step 6 only 1 Podcast was subscribed to, it needs to be done for all Podcasts in the imported OPML file.

It still sounds that expectancy is that scanning for episodes gets the subscription URL, this is not the case. It would need to come from subscribing to the Podcasts in the OPMP.
ThurstonBT

Post by ThurstonBT »

@Rob_S -- You are correct.
Rob_S wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:04 pm Refer to point 5 of the op, he says the RSS url is missing....
@Lowlander doesn't seem to understand my ...
... "Looking under "Podcast" -> "Subscriptions", I see the >50 ACTIVE podcast subscriptions from my old computer. ALL of these ACTIVE podcast subscriptions have blank RSS URL fields. THIS IS THE PROBLEM that I am attempting to address."

A clear, honest answer that MM5's OPML importer suffers from a bug would seem to be indicated here.