[SOLVED] Problems with Artwork

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

perl

Re: Problems with Artwork

Post by perl »

Peke wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am Hi,
Based on Pictures it looks like WMA is the problem as many devices do not support WMA playback. I remembered my very old Motorola phone removed WMA support as of Android 5.1 due the Microsoft complains and non paid licenses.

I wonder why you scan Media Server and not using NETWORK because you will have full access to files and MM Transcoding would solve WMA issue?
Mediamonkey can't play network or local drive to Sonos - but maybee it is a fault !

But WMA seems to be the problem with missing Artwork
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
your problem is that you take Media and Artwork from Media Server and in 99% of cases filenames and paths to files are Virtual (eg. temp created by media server itself) and can be changed each time you access the URI.
EDIT: MM server included as MM uses Track ID to create DLNA URI.
perl wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:01 am Mediamonkey can't play network or local drive to Sonos - but maybee it is a fault !
I would suggest you to open support ticket, where we can go into more details not for public eyes.

Are you sure that you tried MP3s for example to play from local HDD?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does the debug version of MediaMonkey 5.0.4 also not see the media server under Devices & Services in the Media Tree?

If not, please capture the start of MediaMonkey and having it sit for a few minutes before you try to add the media server as a location and check its availability in Devices & Services and hopefully it captures why its not seen.

Only the debug version can capture the initial problem for developer analysis.
perl

Post by perl »

[SOLVED]
I decided to convert all music albums with WMA files to MP3 format. Then Mediamonkey can handle my music and Artwork. Strange - just one WMA file is converted to mp3, then mediamonkey uses Artwork from this piece of music on the entire album, and stops unsolicited finding irrelevant album covers for my albums.
Mediamonkey seems to be a patchwork of solutions that make behavior unpredictable. The program needs simplification, and I don't want to help make enough of a loop that can solve the problem that it can't handle VMA files fully.
Yes, it's a lot of work, but I can't bear to mess with a version of mediamonkey that should be able to create a log file, but which doesn't behave like the latest version. I'm not a technician, I'm a user.

No Lowlander - Nas is not seen either under devices in the debug version:

Peke wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:15 am Are you sure that you tried MP3s for example to play from local HDD?
Yes I am sure - I can't play music from either local drive or network to Sonos

Thanks to Lowlander, Barry and Peke for suggestions to remedy the problem
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

perl wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:52 am [SOLVED]
:D
perl wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:52 am Mediamonkey seems to be a patchwork of solutions that make behavior unpredictable. The program needs simplification, and I don't want to help make enough of a loop that can solve the problem that it can't handle VMA files fully.
Yes, it's a lot of work, but I can't bear to mess with a version of mediamonkey that should be able to create a log file, but which doesn't behave like the latest version. I'm not a technician, I'm a user.
I agree with some of your frustration.
MM5 is complex. Over time they have accumulated multiple diverse customer groups, each of whom came on board at different versions of MM's history, and these people are invested in keeping MM familiar to what they grew used to. This is familiar problem with all s/w that is popular, and is in its n'th iteration.

MM5 is also poorly documented. No Quick Start Guides. No in depth How To advice about it major functions. It is a complex system with a dictionary, but with no Users' Manual worthy of that name.

But part of what you see a "patchwork" is actually of your own doing.
You are trying to mesh MM5 with Sonos.
  • MM5 publishes Media as a DLNA Server
  • and Sonos is a relatively closed ecosystem, where they make no claim to support DLNA Servers.
  • so this, by definition, is a patchwork
As you know I use both Sonos and MediaMonkey.

It is possible to use MM to play on my Sonos units. It works, but it is crappy IMO ... is not supported by either company ... so I don't do that.

The Devs at MediaMonkey don't even have any Sonos units that they can test on.
And if you went to Sonos, they would say "Media-Who??"

Why I don't use MM to play on Sonos (nb I am using the S1 version of Sonos controller, you are probably using S2, so things may be different for you):
  • each individual Sonos unit is a separate computer ... they are meshed together, with custom s/w to coordinate and to optimise your listening experience
  • when you play to Sonos, from MediaMonkey, you bypass all that, and use it just as a dumb speaker box
  • everything is controlled back from the PC which is running MM, rather than by the phone that is in your pocket .. and some functionality from the buttons on the Sonos units has been disabled (no skipping forward or back)
  • everything in the household has to be playing the same thing
  • no usable ability to move music from one room to another
  • the Sonos controller in your pocket knows what it is currently playing, but not what is coming next, nor was what you heard moments ago
  • the music stops when I turn the PC off ... the music is interrupted when the PC is rebooted ... or when the network is having a dizzy

I use MM to:
    • manage and tag my media collection
    • make playlists[
    • browse my collection, and to decide what to play next
    • sync media to other devices or locations
    I use the Sonos s/w to:
    • queue what I want to play ... yes, I often browse my collection using MM, and then re-find, and queue, the album using Sonos ... I know that sounds horrible, but the Sonos search facility makes it simple
    • use the Sonos s/w to control what is playing ... where it is (also) playing, how loud, and to re-arrange, prune, or replace the queue
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
perl

Post by perl »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:03 am
Why I don't use MM to play on Sonos (nb I am using the S1 version of Sonos controller, you are probably using S2, so things may be different for you): - ( I use S1 too )
  • each individual Sonos unit is a separate computer ... they are meshed together, with custom s/w to coordinate and to optimise your listening experience
  • when you play to Sonos, from MediaMonkey, you bypass all that, and use it just as a dumb speaker box - YES
  • everything is controlled back from the PC which is running MM, rather than by the phone that is in your pocket .. and some functionality from the buttons on the Sonos units has been disabled (no skipping forward or back) - I don't use phone but a HP laptop and have all the functions that MM offers at my fingertips
  • everything in the household has to be playing the same thing - No that is absolute not correct. I can play Sonos in my kitchen and Mediamonkey on my Sonos in the diningroom at the same time and they don't hear the same music,
  • no usable ability to move music from one room to another. - Don't need it !
  • the Sonos controller in your pocket knows what it is currently playing, but not what is coming next, nor was what you heard moments ago - I dont use my phone and I don't have MM installed on my phone !
  • the music stops when I turn the PC off ... the music is interrupted when the PC is rebooted ... or when the network is having a dizzy - Of course - it is a windows program which is closed down
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

perl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:53 am
  • the Sonos controller in your pocket knows what it is currently playing, but not what is coming next, nor was what you heard moments ago - I dont use my phone and I don't have MM installed on my phone !
All you would need on your phone is the Sonos controller app

nb. The MM phone app (andoid) is for another purpose ... it is to help you sync music tracks into your phone, and to play them while you are away from the house, and then to sync re-ratings and play counts back into the MM database at home.
perl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:53 am
  • the music stops when I turn the PC off ... the music is interrupted when the PC is rebooted ... or when the network is having a dizzy - Of course - it is a windows program which is closed down
When playing Sonos, using the Sonos s/w, your PC is not required ... The Sonos units access your NAS directly, and they. and what is playing, can be controlled by your phone.

BTW I was not saying that there is anything wrong with the way that you are using MM and Sonos.
I was just trying to explain why is seemed a "patchwork" arrangement to you.
  • MediaMonkey provide access to your collection via DLNA, which is a major standard for household media sharing
  • Sonos have chosen to not support that, or any other standard ... they have forged their own ecosystem
But it mostly all (mostly) works, in a patchwork kind of way.

MediaMonkey is very good at lot of things where Sonos have no offering at all. Like:
  • Collection management, and track tagging and classification
  • Syncing of music to other devices
  • custom browsing of your collection
  • collection statistics
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.