Update Tags not appearing to work

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Linwood

Update Tags not appearing to work

Post by Linwood »

I am running MM 5.0.4.2690 on Windows 10x64 Pro with Gold version, returning it to it after a couple of years.

I have been working to clean up metadata (this is a seemingly endless job but the tools are quite nice for doing so).

If I go to the "Files to edit" / "DB / Tag mismatches" I see 154 files (a small number, some ones recently edited, most from some years ago when I ripped and uploaded from various sources).

My loose understanding is that this means there is data in the database not in the files as tags, or different. Or maybe in the files and not in the database. If I do a "Update tags" I thought this would bring them into sync. I see old references to a "synchronize" but think that was for older versions. On this report, some files (only a few) show highlighted fields that are different, most show no indication.

So far "Update tags" appears to do nothing. If I go back to the report, it shows the same files again.

The wording seems to indicate the sync is from the database to the files -- does that mean the issue is tagged data NOT in the database? If so, how do I load that data or synchronize?

Or perhaps the key question: How do I understand what is different if it's not shown, and understand what update is doing (or not)?

These are all audio, most flac or m4a.

Thanks.

Linwood
Lowlander

Re: Update Tags not appearing to work

Post by Lowlander »

Do tag changes seem to be saved into those files (if you manually change a tag)?

DB / Tag Mismatches will list files where the database value and the value in the tag don't match, but can also show files where tags within the file don't match (ID3 v1 vs ID3v2 in MP3 for example). I'd generally take the approach that the Files to Edit nodes are aides in managing your files, if you don't see anything wrong I wouldn't worry.
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:28 pm Do tag changes seem to be saved into those files (if you manually change a tag)?
I have no idea, more precisely I have no idea how to tell. I am trusting MM's interpretation, I have no separate view of where a tag is, so I have no way to know if what I see on MM's screen is in the database, the file, or both.

Do I? Am I missing a place to look for this?

My desire is that the tags be in the files, so if I (for example) figure out how to load them up to YTM, they will be correctly tagged already.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

One way to check is to create a copy of the file and check the copy in MediaMonkey. It should show the changes.
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:58 am One way to check is to create a copy of the file and check the copy in MediaMonkey. It should show the changes.
I can tell I'm over my head in terms of techniques but I'm trying...

So I copied the file (with explorer), then I did a rescan of that folder and it added it to the database.

The copy does NOT appear in the DB/Tags mismatch report.

I went through the file/properties very carefully and they are almost identical, but the exceptions are a bit odd. On the properties, detail screen:

The copy shows a "Bit depth" of 16, the original does not have a bit depth.
The copy shows "VBR: Yes" whereas the original shows "VBR: No". (It is variable, I looked with MediaInfo).

The latter doesn't seem possible -- it either is, or isn't, right? But I'm not sure this is actually related to tags?

I'm not sure what this tells me -- that the initial import of these files did not work in some fashion? But in what way? Somehow I doubt these two fields' difference is why they are on the report?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case you may want to remove the original from the MediaMonkey and scan it back in.

It would be really hard to figure out on what version of MediaMonkey this problem occurred, but it seems that the current version is scanning files correctly.

Alternatively, you ignore that the files are listed here (as removing files also removes them from Playlists and you'll loose their Play History).
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 am In that case you may want to remove the original from the MediaMonkey and scan it back in.

It would be really hard to figure out on what version of MediaMonkey this problem occurred, but it seems that the current version is scanning files correctly.

Alternatively, you ignore that the files are listed here (as removing files also removes them from Playlists and you'll loose their Play History).
Got it. And understand the downside. May do a bit of both depending. Thank you.