automatically generate a playlist that includes original songs, and their cover versions ?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Utestit

automatically generate a playlist that includes original songs, and their cover versions ?

Post by Utestit »

Hi,

I wondered if any MM user found or devised a way to automatically generate a playlist that includes original songs, and their cover versions ? (same song interpreted by another artist)
Nice to listen to such originals & covers in alternance, or over the same listening session...

A typical cover is tagged (in my library) as :
Paul Kalkbrenner - Mad World (Tears for Fears cover)
where :
Paul Kalkbrenner is the "Artist";
Mad World (Tears for Fears cover) the "Title"
and the original song would be tagged : Tears For Fears - Mad World.

I'm almost there with the "Duplicate Titles" list (included in MM standard playlists, FilesToEdit > ...), which scans the library and displays the different covers for a same original song: such as "Mad World (Tears for Fears cover)" by "Paul Kalkbrenner" or "Jasmine Thomson"... [and no less than 6 others, btw ;) ]
But the original song is not included (per above the "Title" for the cover version includes, in-between brackets, the name of the original group, and 'cover').

I also have a "Cover" playlist, which lists all covers, ie. songs that have 'cover' in their "Tirle" or "Genre". But the originals are still not there...

So if anybody devised something, most welcome & many thanks !
Lowlander

Re: automatically generate a playlist that includes original songs, and their cover versions ?

Post by Lowlander »

There is no method for this.

You could use a Custom tag and then create an AutoPlaylist based on that.
Utestit

Re: automatically generate a playlist that includes original songs, and their cover versions ?

Post by Utestit »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 pm There is no method for this.

You could use a Custom tag and then create an AutoPlaylist based on that.
Hi Lowlander,

thanks for the answer.

I'm not sure an Auto Playlist can do this :
. this requires a screening of some sorts (which the "Duplicate List" performs) to identify Titles which appear twice or more (ie, Duplicates), and have those songs added to the list (and not the ones which have no "cover version")
. in which case, I should be able to sort this out with custom tags;

Can an AutoPlayList do such a screening ?
(I have many of them - but haven't run into parameters/configs that would allow me to do this)

note: the above screening would have to be able to identify Titles which only differ through indications between brackets, such as "(Tear For Fears cover)" or "(DJ XX Remix)" - but first and foremost, an AutoPlayList would have to be able to do that screening: I'm unsure it is. And the "Duplicate List" cannot be edited/modified, can it ?

Many thanks !
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you'd need to manually identify the files in some way (like Custom Tags) and then AutoPlaylists can use that information.
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

OK, thanks.

I'll try & work something out with Duplicates
oldugly

Post by oldugly »

Ran across this thread, and it might no longer be needed, but this is how I handle cover songs. The Song titles are the same, but if it is a cover version, I utilize the "Original Artist" tag under Properties>Details to list the original artist. I then have an Auto Playlist with the criteria of "Original Artist is known." That gives me a list of all cover songs.

All you need to do to add the original versions to that playlist is to put any kind of text in the Original Artist tag. The Auto Playlist is just looking for any text in that tag to include it in the paylist. Then sort by Title to listen to them together.
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

thanks oldugly !

bit old post, though, but I opted to a similar way (using a custom tag to identifie covers & "covered" tunes)