[REQ] Add sort by Original Date to Grid View [#16714]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

CarlosLosTopografos

[REQ] Add sort by Original Date to Grid View [#16714]

Post by CarlosLosTopografos »

The Media library offers two sort options for the alboms of aan artist: date and album title. like probably most users use the sorting by date.

But meanwhile, due to the very common rereleases of albums the order by date is not the order by release date. I normally use the official ID3v2 TORY (Original Release Date) to store the year, when an album is officially released. Sorting by this tag would show me all albums in release order - even if I have newer rereleases amongst it.

I am sure, this would be real useful.
Lowlander

Re: Album View: Sort by Original Date (TORY)

Post by Lowlander »

This tag is commonly used for the original release date of the track instead of Album. ie. the only sorting options available are those expected to be the same for all files on the Album so that the Album remains sorted together.
CarlosLosTopografos

Re: [REQ] Add sort by Original Date to Grid View

I do understand that this can result in a strang view for the "various artists" artist in case of samplers. But I talked about the mediadatabase and the album view of one artist. Normally (I am aware, it can be different) this tag should be the same within an album.

I see your point. But is it a problem, to implement it as a third option anyway in the view?

My view is just wrong and i have no chance to see the albums in theri release order. Any other idea?
Last edited by CarlosLosTopografos on Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludek

Re: [REQ] Add sort by Original Date to Grid View

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for feedback, this issue is being tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16714
CarlosLosTopografos

Re: [REQ] Add sort by Original Date to Grid View [#16714]

Maybe the "normal" year as a fallback, if the Original date is empty