[REQ] SQL Editor extensions

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

sonos

[REQ] SQL Editor extensions

Post by sonos »

I have been using the SQL editor from time to time for some time now. Everything works very well (!), but it would be a great relief to be able to load and save a query. Also it would be helpful if the result could be exported.

Are there more supporters for this request?

Carsten
IanRTaylorUK

Re: [REQ] SQL Editor extensions

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Carsten,

Yes, I agree that this would be a good option and support this.

It might also be useful to have a button to link to a Forum page that includes examples for the less SQL experienced. Maybe this is something that could happen for "most" 3rd party add-ons?
Ian Taylor
sonos

Post by sonos »

Thanks Ian for your support! :D

Another advantage would be that users could share queries with each other. Possibly a repository for queries would also be conceivable.
And some queries take a long time with "Advanced Search" especially if you make a mistake.

Carsten
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I agree this would be a very useful addon to the extension
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

+1 I also would like to see this enhancement... . I use the SQL Editor a lot.

sonos wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:23 am Also it would be helpful if the result could be exported.
fizzjob posted a version of the SQL Editor which added a button allowing export of results to csv file format.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Hi guys,

Yes, I've already been thinking of adding a way to recall previous SQL queries because I agree that it's really annoying to have to retype your queries each time. Good to know that several people agree, so it'll be worth spending the time to add that feature.

Also, I've gotten permission from Fizzjob to include his modifications in the official release and I'll be updating the release sometime in the near future. Maybe after I add the query recalling thing.

EDIT: Question. Do you think that the queries should be *automatically* saved when you execute them, without needing to press a save button, or should it require you to press save in order to have the query saved?
Either way, I'll add a "Clear" or "Delete" button to clear the history of SQL queries, and I'll make sure there are no duplicate queries saved in the history.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
sonos

Post by sonos »

Hello drakenite,

that sounds great!

I would prefer to have an additional save button. You may not want to save every query.
I would like to have the following actions: Load, Save, Export.
An additional idea would be to eventually have a repository (forum) for queries for those who are willing to share SQL queries as Ian mentioned earlier.

Carsten
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I agree ... a save button would probably be best
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:22 pm Question. Do you think that the queries should be *automatically* saved when you execute them, without needing to press a save button, or should it require you to press save in order to have the query saved?
Either way, I'll add a "Clear" or "Delete" button to clear the history of SQL queries, and I'll make sure there are no duplicate queries saved in the history.
I think that the utility of the proposed change would be reduced greatly if there was not a facility to save the current query to a user supplied name. ... ie capability of build a small library of named queries.

So there would also need to be a browse_and_load button. And maybe a delete button also.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Drakinite,

Save As... / Load / Export would be fine.

Forum link probably applies to many add-ons so might be considered separately / more generic. Perhaps the first / pinned item from the author with examples / how to use / a bit of discussion.

Thanks in advance for pushing this forward.
Ian Taylor
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:29 am Forum link probably applies to many add-ons so might be considered separately / more generic. Perhaps the first / pinned item from the author with examples / how to use / a bit of discussion.
I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? I'm not following.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

drakinite wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:51 am
IanRTaylorUK wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:29 am Forum link probably applies to many add-ons so might be considered separately / more generic. Perhaps the first / pinned item from the author with examples / how to use / a bit of discussion.
I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? I'm not following.
Hi Drakinite,

Currently the "MMW5 / Need Help with MMW5 Addons" Forum section has Announcements and Topics as sections. I was wondering if another "section" or "sub-section" could be added for Specific Addon Help / Examples.

Alternatively, a button or link on the Add-On download page for Documentation / Help / Examples (similar to the download / support buttons).

e.g. https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... lbum-view/
https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ql-editor/

I guess for some add-ons (perhaps skins) no documentation / help / examples needed, but I think others would benefit and hopefully promote their use. If the forum add-on specific "Help" location was "static", then I guess it could also be included within MMW5 (at the discretion of the developer). Maybe it is possible [during the installation of an add-on] to add an "Add-On sub-node" under the "Web node" and include the add-on specific link i.e. append a record to the Webs table of MM.DB.
Ian Taylor
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi Ian,

AFAICS there are few substantive addon available for MM5 atm.
Those from ZvezdanD set a high standard, to live up to, with respect to documentation. Look at this example, click the "Support" button.
I think that the convention is that the 1st post in the thread be continuously updated so that the info, supplied there, remains concise and up to date.

It is great that drakinite is making so many add-ons that are freely available.

If your sub-text is that he could improve documentation for his submissions, I do agree with you.

Take the SQLEditor as an example. ... I wouldn't expect an SQL Tutorial, but there are some things that he could add:
  • where it is implemented in the UI
  • that it has limits ... it looks to me that it is limited to return a maximum of 1,000 rows
  • it has unexplained benefits; it can be used to update the MM database, and can be used to join MM database to other databases
  • it eliminates the IUNICODE collation problem, and the unknown tokenizer issues encountered when trying to access or update the MM database from external tools
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Barry,

Yes I am very familiar with Zvezdan's great work and have most of his "paid" offerings for both MMW4 and MMW5.

I think the phrase "Support" has (at least) two meanings i.e. documentation / help or paying for a more fully featured version. If we can "market" add-ons and MMW5 better then....

My thinking is that a forum link / help page would allow a power-user (not necessarily the developer) to promote the add-on and thus MMW5 also. Thus the likes of Drakinite / Zvezdan might better spend more time developing.

I am more than happy to contribute with help / docs / video clips if there is a commitment to support this.

How do we move forward? We have both touched on this several times in the forum.
Ian Taylor