Issues when syncing

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MMMM

Issues when syncing

Post by MMMM »

I was running the MediaMonkey 5.0.4.2690 (non-debug version) trying to (re)sync my library onto my iPhone 13 Pro (with 1TB of storage). If I remember correctly, when I upgraded my iPhone from the XR that I had, I was able to wirelessly sync my library from my old phone to my new phone, which, at the time, I thought was really great. It did it relatively, very quickly. My XR only had 256GB, so I wasn't able to have my entire library on it. With the songs now on my new phone, and space on my new phone, I decided to sync up the rest of my library. When I connected my new phone, MediaMonkey recognized it as a new device. When I tried to sync, it not only copied over the songs that I hadn't been able to copy before, but it re-copied everything that was on there before, so 20,000 plus songs were duplicated. I assumed this might be "expected behavior" and that there was no easy way to delete the duplicated songs, so I deleted all the songs and re-synced. When syncing, MediaMonkey stopped syncing when I received an "Application throw an exception Out of memory" error after syncing 18,733 of 29,966 songs. I had to end task MediaMonkey. I then installed the debug version and was able to complete the sync and now have all the songs I wanted. I did receive the "Application throw an exception Out of memory" message when I sync the first time I tried to sync as well. It occurred at a different point (while it was on a different song), but both times it happened, I was not running the debug version. What has been happening for some time now, with previous versions, many beta versions included, is that while syncing, the songs will sync at approximately a rate of 1 per second, and then suddenly slows down while syncing a song, and eventually move on back to the rate of 1 song per second, it will sync usually 20-30 songs at that rate before slowing down again. When watching this happened last time I synced, I timed it when it was "stuck" syncing a song, and it would range from 12 - 65 seconds each time. I searched to see if anyone else has mentioned this problem recently, but I couldn't find any reports. So, I'm wondering:

1. Is the duplication of songs on a new device with songs already on it, expected behavior?
2. Can "Application throw an exception Out of memory" errors, be caused by syncing too many songs at one time and a simple memory leak? If so, I'm running debug now, so if it happens again soon, hopefully my logs can help.
3. Do you have any idea why I'd be experiencing a slow down when syncing? As I said, this has been happening for a while and I've always assumed it was normal behavior.

Thank you!
Last edited by MMMM on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Issues when syncing

Post by Lowlander »

There is no wireless Syncing to Apple devices, it is only possible with Android devices when using MediaMonkey for Android.

As far as the crashing or slowness please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
MMMM

Re: Issues when syncing

Post by MMMM »

Sorry, i wasn't more clear. The wireless syncing was between my old iphone to my new one. Mediamonkey was not involved . I'll submit a ticket regarding the other issues. Thank you.