[REQ] view presets

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

aushamburg

[REQ] view presets

Post by aushamburg »

Hi,
I'm missing the feature to individually customize some view-presets. Just to hit a button or select from a dropdown to activate a view-preset containing predefined items (defined columns, panels, etc.). I'm using MM5 on a notebook with reduced screen size. Different tasks do need different views (especially different columns) and it would be helpful to rather activate presets instead of right click and selecting and hiding/unhiding single columns. Just a matter of convenience.
Thank's a lot!
Jorg
Barry4679

Re: [REQ] view presets

Post by Barry4679 »

aushamburg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 am I'm missing the feature to individually customize some view-presets. Just to hit a button or select from a dropdown to activate a view-preset containing predefined items (defined columns, panels, etc.).
Have you looked at the MM5 facility to create a Custom View.
It implements much of what you are asking for; ie. you can clone of of the existing views (List, or List by Album, or Grid), and for that clone you can set columns to display, row sort sequence, whether the Column Filter or Statusbar panel is displayed.

It doesn't retain settings for column width, and it does retain whether the Left, Right, or bottom panel is displayed.

But it will give a lot of what I think that you are asking for. Your custom view(s) will be added to standard list, and can be selected in any Media Tree node (except Folders and Location), or any sub-node (like Artist, Albums, Genres) etc.

The facility is available via View>MainPanelView>ManageViews, or via the Views dropdown control on the toolbar

One other limitaion to know is that the specification for "custom Views" are not read-only when you are using them. ie. any change of setting that you make while USING the view will alter the definition that you have created. ... I think that is disappointing, but it is not a Show Stopper.

[EDIT] One other thing. When creating your custom View, scroll down the list until you see "Add New> ... otherwise you be altering the standard view preset, not creating your own View clone.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
aushamburg

Post by aushamburg »

Hi Barry,
YES, thank you! Looks quite good, at a first glance. I will learn to use it.
Should have had checked all the menues thoroughly, prior to asking. Sorry.
Thx.
Jorg
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

No be sorry at all :)

The whole point of a product forum such as this is to make other users aware of things they might not have noticed at first glance, and to start discussions of topics where improvements can be made, or where tips and tricks can be explained.

This would not work at all if no one posted any questions!!!

There has been some discussion of better ways to implement the custom views, to make it easier to apply a particular custom view to all of your various nodes that you might use.

I personally favor an "apply to all" button which could be added, and I think this would be a very useful feature .
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks