Lock screen / notification widget wrong now playing [#19632]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

Re: Lock screen / notification widget wrong now playing [#19632]

Post by gordol »

Still happening.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Gordol,

Can you share a debug log ID here when it occurs?

Thanks!

-Rusty
gordol

Post by gordol »

Next time I see it happen.
gordol

Post by gordol »

rusty wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:37 am Can you share a debug log ID here when it occurs?
Log ID GWZITY2TYR

I kept MMA playing until after I sent the log. Notification shared and lock screen info stayed stuck on the prior track, this time the home screen widget did update to the currently playing one. In the prior build, when this happened none of them updated until I paused and resumed playback.
dkstott

Post by dkstott »

After several days with version 1061 and Android 13. The problem still exists.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Gordol,
Thanks for the Log ID. We're looking into it.

Gordol, dkstott,
We've been unable to replicate this at all with 1061. Does the issue occur when just playing MM on your phone? Or does it tend to occur when casting or using Android Auto?

Also, would you say that it occurs more rarely than in previous builds?

Thanks!

-Rusty
dkstott

Post by dkstott »

I don't cast or connect to my car. The problem is strictly while playing 1061 on my phone. Which is a Samsung S20FE running Android 13.

The issue seems to be less frequent than with previous builds. When it happens, it'll only be resolved by unlocking the phone and opening MM2 and viewing "now playing".
gordol

Post by gordol »

rusty wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:04 pm We've been unable to replicate this at all with 1061. Does the issue occur when just playing MM on your phone? Or does it tend to occur when casting or using Android Auto?
I only notice it when not using AA. When in the car and the phone is plugged in I do not look at the phone. And since the AA screen is a projection of the running app on the phone and not a widget, I'd be surprised if it was showing the wrong item.
No, it's about the same frequency.
gordol

Post by gordol »

rusty wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:04 pm Gordol, dkstott,
We've been unable to replicate this at all with 1061. Does the issue occur when just playing MM on your phone? Or does it tend to occur when casting or using Android Auto?
I cannot provide a solid answer to this. Since Android Auto is a form of screen mirror, the car display shows the same content that the phone app main display would, and that has always been correct. And when I'm using AA, I'm driving so I'm not looking at the phone itself... I can only assume the same thing happens.

I can state that this happens regardless of using the phone's built-in speakers or a bluetooth speaker.

I have tested: while the widget was still showing the previous track, I opened the MMA main screen and it showed the correct track. Minimized back to the phone home screen and the widget was still showing the prior track.

I captured a log yesterday and had MMA send it. Log ID CKY7C3QEU3.
Actually seems to be happening more frequently now - until a reboot then it's fine for "a while" then it starts happening again with increasing frequency.
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, f1nchy (another user at viewtopic.php?p=506037#p506037) indicated that he's seeing this when continuing to play a Playing list after having performed a sync operation.

This would imply that this bug could be a refresh problem related to the Playing list not refreshing correctly after a sync operation causes some of the tracks in the Playing list to be changed/removed. If this is the case, then loading a new set of tracks into the Playing queue would cause this problem to not occur. Just sharing this in case anyone has evidence for or against this possibility...

-Rusty
gordol

Post by gordol »

Maybe, maybe not.

Not directly cause-and-effect, but I have been using "play next" to pull in a couple tracks a day from my "never heard" playlist to my "now playing" queue. However, when the widget "freeze" happens it's several hours and dozens of tracks later.

I happened three or four times today. It did not happen (that I noticed) prior to today since my last phone restart, 6 days ago. Also, except for the star ratings, I am not manually editing the metadata via MMA; I do all of that in MMW. So if it is related to updating the metadata it's irrelevant as to whether it's manual or automatic (play count/last played).
rusty

Post by rusty »

By 'update' I meant that the sync operation made changes (deletions and/or edits from MMW to MMA) to tracks in the Playing list. So if you loaded the Playing list with 1000 tracks, performed a sync operation that made changes to tracks in the Playing list, and continued playing tracks from the playing list over several hours, it's conceivable that the issue could continue to occur (until a new set of tracks are loaded into the Playing list).

-Rusty
gordol

Post by gordol »

Unless the track is deleted from the device, this should not be happening here:

My phone has more than enough storage to mirror my music collection from the desktop, so I do. When I do a sync mid-playlist playback, it's mostly to update the "not heard" playlist as I manually "play next" that one after adding new albums or to sync over updated metadata (fixing a genre, fixing album art (I have a thread in here somewhere for that issue)). And when those changes are being made from MMW and synced back, the tracks they affect are generally already played. Album art fixes may be affecting tracks still to come, though, but I don't think they've ever showed up until I restart the playlist from the beginning again after another sync sometime later.
dkstott

Post by dkstott »

I don't use AA, but my experience matches Gordol's with respect to the lock screen widget.

There are times when unlocking the phone doesn't reset "what's playing. The only way to see the actual what playing is to open MMA.

My phone has sufficient memory AND my all music is on a SD card and "only" uses 40G out of an available 200G.
gordol

Post by gordol »

dkstott wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 am There are times when unlocking the phone doesn't reset "what's playing. The only way to see the actual what playing is to open MMA.
Hit Pause and then Play and the info will refresh. You don't need to open the app main window. And, at least here, that does not update the widgets anyway.