MM fails to respond to media buttons merely 10 minutes after pausing [#19708]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

malkierian

MM fails to respond to media buttons merely 10 minutes after pausing [#19708]

Post by malkierian »

The previous version of MM for Android would respond to the media buttons 12 hours later if it was the last media app used, as long as it wasn't manually stopped in the app info bar. I could have this beta version of MM paused for half an hour or less and it won't respond to media buttons, even if nothing else happened in the meantime. In fact, it happened just now as I was typing this, and it was like 10 minutes paused and wouldn't resume, with nothing else played in the meantime. Hitting stop on the notification bar should make it stop responding until you open the app and hit the play button manually, but it really should respond to the buttons for far longer than just 10 minutes if nothing else is going on.
Lowlander

Re: [Bug] MM fails to respond to media buttons merely 10 minutes after pausing

Post by Lowlander »

In Settings > UI is Show in notifications bar set to Always?
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

No, but the notifications bar didn't have to be there in the past for it to still respond to media buttons after a prolonged period of time. Even after enabling that, if I dismiss it from the notifications after pausing it immediately doesn't respond, but before I could have dismissed it manually and pressed the play button on my headset hours later and it would start up again, as long as it was the last media app used.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

But it keeps working as long as the MMA notification is shown?

Did you disable battery optimization under Settings > General in MMA? Nowadays many devices are very aggressive in closing applications to preserve battery.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

I had not, but it still doesn't work. I went into Android settings to confirm it's unrestricted for background use. Manually dismiss the notification bar and it stops responding period, even with MM still open on the screen. I dismissed the notification bar by bringing up notifications while in MM and it still doesn't respond after dismissal.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

But, it works as long as the notification IS shown?
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Actually, I just realized, I had it set to always show, and it still went away after a couple of minutes of being paused.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Check if your device power management killed MMA task. Samsung devices are notorious to do that.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Settings > Playback has Always respond to remote buttons enabled? If not, try re-enabling it.

If notification disappears, despite being set to show always it may indicate that Android is killing MMA to conserve battery (despite setting it not to).
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

How do I check that, Peke? I'm not sure where in settings to find that info. But that being said, it was working fine before a beta update about 1-1.5 weeks ago, and my podcast app responds exactly as I would expect it to despite dismissing the bubble in the notification area, and I don't remember giving it any special permissions. And yes, I already said that I had it set to always display before the latest rounds of testing it.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Disabling battery optimization can be done by tap-holding on an app, clicking the 'i' (information) button > Battery and setting it to 'unrestricted'.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for all the info. I've been able to replicate the bug. Tracking at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19708

-Rusty
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

rusty wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:02 pm Thanks for all the info. I've been able to replicate the bug. Tracking at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19708

-Rusty
Awesome, glad it was replicatable.
rusty wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:14 am Disabling battery optimization can be done by tap-holding on an app, clicking the 'i' (information) button > Battery and setting it to 'unrestricted'.

-Rusty
Yeah, that was one of the first things I changed in debugging this.
rusty

Re: MM fails to respond to media buttons merely 10 minutes after pausing [#19708]

Post by rusty »

This is fixed in beta build 1063 which should become available shortly on the Play store.

Can you confirm that it fixes the problem for you? (I'm especially interested re. whether it works well in different vehicles / Android Auto implementations).

Thanks!

-Rusty
CountZeroOr

Re: MM fails to respond to media buttons merely 10 minutes after pausing [#19708]

Post by CountZeroOr »

I think I might be running into this issue. This morning was listening to some podcasts in the Android app, and when I later switched to Apple Music to listen to some music. When I switched back to podcasts, the Bluetooth remote would successfully pause the audio from the podcast, but when I hit play again, it would start Apple Music playing.

Android version: 13
Build: 1070

EDIT: If I force stop the other player, that will fix the issue.