New Desktop Migration Questions

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

RickMM

New Desktop Migration Questions

Post by RickMM »

I currently have MMW4 installed on my old Desktop which is coming to an end. I have a new Desktop which I plan to install MMW5 and I have already copied across my music files to the new Desktop retaining the same folder hierarchy. I want to migrate my existing playlists to the new install. I'm using this page https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/Moving ... w_computer as my 'how to' guide. There are a few questions I seek clarification upon.

1st question Copying your database
2. ....Then place another copy to the appropriate location on your new PC.
I find this a bit ambiguous, I'm not sure if I should copy the database file to either %APPDATA%\MediaMonkey\MM.DB OR %APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB

2nd Question
Install MediaMonkey to the new computer.
Will the installation copy over the existing database file that I put in place in the step above? Can you clarify the sequence of steps?

3rd Question - In MediaMonkey 5 use the build-in method
You can select which drive should be used using Location to select the drive on your PC that should be used.
The instructions about "Manually Re-assign Drive" are not clear. Do I have to manually type in the new drive ID or is there a dropdown/list to pick from? If former option, where do I locate that Drive ID info from?
Lowlander

Re: New Desktop Migration Questions

Post by Lowlander »

1) If you're using MediaMonkey 5, you need to copy mm5.db to the new PC.

2) No, you need to copy the database file to the new PC after installing MediaMonkey 5 on the new PC.

3) You select the Location (drive) in the Media Properties dialog.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

And to find this elusive "media properties" dialog, you need to Right click on the drive in the Collection > Location node in the Media Tree and select Media properties from the Context Menu

And this information can be found near the bottom of this help page - https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ibrary/5.0
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

I think it worked. All my Playlists are there and I can play a file.

I briefly reviewed the new version and 1 thing I immediately noticed was that I can't find was "Auto-Tag from WEB" feature. Where/how to I find that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's names Auto-Tag.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

Does this replace the the Discogs tagger? I liked that ever much.

I noticed that there is a MusicBrainz Addon. Is this the replacement for Discogs tagger?

What's the differenc between MusicBrainz Addon and Auto Tag?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It replaces the Amazon tagger that used to be included with MediaMonkey 4. Discogs Tagger is a Third Party Addon and is only available for MediaMonkey 4 at the moment.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

Is there a discussion thread you can point me to that discusses what's the difference between MusicBrainz Addon and Auto Tag?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you mean MusicBrainz Service shown under Tools > Addons, it is what Auto-Tag uses.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

So on the Addons dialog box where it says 'Core addon' does that mean that Addon is already installed as par of the MMW5?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

RickMM wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:24 am So on the Addons dialog box where it says 'Core addon' does that mean that Addon is already installed as par of the MMW5?
Yes. It is an addon that was shipped and pre-installed with MM5, but which could receive updates outside the normal MM5 update cycle.
That's how I understand it.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

In MMW4 there was a Search (Ctl-F) which I found useful. I can't find that feature in MMW5. Is that now called 'Global Search' ? If so, how do I get the Criteria dialog box to re-appear?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I had trouble finding those initially as well!!

If you are in the main window, you can just start typing and a "contextual search" box will appear top left. This searches within the current list display ie playlist or whatever

For a global search, regardless of the current display, you can click on the magnifying glass top right corner.

Actually Crtl+F still works for me to open the global search box.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

Thanks Rob_S for those handy tips.

So the Criteria dialog box is no longer available?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, as MM5 do not open separate dialog for Global search I created https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19750 so that you can assign it instead of regular search.

Not ideal, but till then you can CTRL+F -> Click on dropdown -> Advanced Search.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts