MM5 Script Play Song to Populate Tag Info

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

mikeyp

MM5 Script Play Song to Populate Tag Info

Post by mikeyp »

Has anyone seen a MM5 script that can play a song in order to populate tag info, e..g. art work, lyrics, etc... Then go on to the next song.... Just run this to update all MP3's in a library.

The idea would be to play a song for 10-15 seconds which usually allows things like lyric data to get looked up.

Basically trying to update tag data for MP3's that don't have it, and prevent lyric lookups when playing a song for the first time.

Thanks and any alternate suggestions on populate tag info would be greatly appreciated.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: MM5 Script Play Song to Populate Tag Info

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Mikeyp,

Yes it would be useful.

As a work around, I do a number of things.
1). On adding new music, I play each new track for a few seconds until I "see" lyrics in the Playing box of my right panel or All-Tracks List View of the centre panel.
2). Have Collections called "No Lyrics Not Played" and "No Lyrics Played" so I can leave MMW5 to play these track if I pop out or even overnight.
3). Run MMW4's Lyricator on a complete copy of my library and then copy the changed files back / rescan....
4). Add and use the Genre "Instrumental" to exclude files from 2). above (i.e. multi-Genre like Intrumental; Pop; Rock)

I have thought about using MMA2 to help on my devices but the Lyrics lookup is not perfected yet.

P.S. see also Drakinite's Split Value Fields add-on.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that Preview can be set to Selected and you can arrow through files to do lookups as well.
TekGamer

Post by TekGamer »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:03 am Note that Preview can be set to Selected and you can arrow through files to do lookups as well.
Noted, but that takes forever to do if you have a large library and a ton of tracks you want to do a lyrics lookup on. It would be helpful if MM5 had an option under the "Edit Tags..." right-click menu for "Lyrics Lookup"... understanding that if you select a bunch of tracks it will have to pause for 1s or more after each successful lyrics lookup so you do not get blacklisted on any lyric provider sites.

Just looking for a more automated process for Lyrics Lookup instead of having to either keep a MM4 install around just to use the Lyricator plugin, or having to constantly change the Auto-Tag options just to do a lyrics update of some tracks wihthout affecting the other tag fields, then having to change the Auto-Tag options back when I want to do a full Auto-Tag of an album. 🤷‍♂️
TekGamer
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

(Disclaimer: I'm just speculating, and I don't know this for certain) - I worry that if you use a script to automatically do lyrics lookup for hundreds of tracks within a short timespan, the lyrics websites that MediaMonkey scrapes may either rate limit you or block your IP address.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

drakinite wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:48 pm (Disclaimer: I'm just speculating, and I don't know this for certain) - I worry that if you use a script to automatically do lyrics lookup for hundreds of tracks within a short timespan, the lyrics websites that MediaMonkey scrapes may either rate limit you or block your IP address.
+1 that is accurate to almost 99.99% Certainty.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

I have never noticed any "restrictions" being placed as a result of downloading lyrics BUT I am not certain you would notice if they just throttle things a little. I use automatic lyric software almost daily at the moment.

For example, Lyricator runs at about a track per second within MMW4 for my setup. I think it uses about 8-10 sources but a couple may no longer be active. Results are colour coded to show the source used. Ran it this morning on 600+ tracks and looks like 5-6 different "colours / sources" had hits. I just use a "Collection" / Select All then a couple of click to run. I often just leave this running while doing something else.

Manually using MMW5 (during adding new files) is about a track every ~5 seconds. BUT this is manually intensive.

I guess any future automated "Lyricator" for MMW5 could simply set its own rate limit programmatically?

I have also wondered about using a keyboard automated macro / script to control MMW - just to 1). skip track to ~95% played after say 2-3 seconds of playing.

Personally (whilst I am happy to let lyrics be added automatically) I would want to be very cautious about other tags. By Album or Artist is the approach I follow.
Ian Taylor