[REQ] Smart Playlists

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

stonefree

[REQ] Smart Playlists

Post by stonefree »

In iTunes they have a concept called Smart Playlists which means you can use a set of criteria that governs whether a track should be included in one of these smart playlists, so for example you could say:

Genre = Blues

The above playlist would include every track in the library whose Genre is Blues, you could add additional criteria

Genre = Blues
Year <= 1960

Then the above playlist would exclude all Blues tracks with a year of 1961 or later.

The best thing about these smart playlists is that if you add more tracks to your music library that have the Genre Blues and Year before 1960, the playlist will automatically include those new tracks.

As far as I know there doesn't seem to be any other music player that supports these, so I don't know if somehow Apple were able to make that feature subject to copyright.

I would really love to have that same functionality for MediaMonkey as then it makes it possible to make a playlist that can do things like play low scored tracks infrequently, play higher scored tracks more frequently, and also play previously unplayed tracks. So you could with a bit of forethought create a playlist with 60% favourite tracks, 10% low score tracks, and then 30% unplayed tracks.

I have a lot of music and so its a real pity that the random shuffling (on all media players), often seems to pull up the same tracks and leave others unplayed. Sometimes I get quite surprised that something I loaded onto the Phone an age ago sometimes suddenly gets pulled up, which then reminds me of uploading it say a month previously.

Another thing iTunes has that I quite like is that you can mark a track such that it will only play during the context of the album, but not when shuffling. This would also be quite useful!
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Smart Playlists

Post by Lowlander »

AutoPlaylists is on the radar for a future (post 2.0) release.
stonefree

Re: [REQ] Smart Playlists

Post by stonefree »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:04 pm AutoPlaylists is on the radar for a future (post 2.0) release.
Oh awesome, once that and the ability to update the DB ReplayGain values with the tags from a scan, will really make this my absolute favourite media player.