Deleting one track only delets all instead [#19806]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Dancer

Deleting one track only delets all instead [#19806]

Post by Dancer »

I wanted to delete one track of an album because it was there twice. I clicked on 3 dots right of track and selected "remove" from database and hard drive, but unfortunately the whole album was deleted from the hard drive instead.
Luckily I still had it on another device.
This seems to be a bug, right?
MMW 5.0.4.2690 beta Gold on WIN 10-64Bit Vers. 22H2
MMA 2.0.0.1080 Pro on Android 12
Vivaldi browser
Barry4679

Re: Deleting one track only delets all instead

Post by Barry4679 »

Dancer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:21 am I wanted to delete one track of an album because it was there twice. I clicked on 3 dots right of track and selected "remove" from database and hard drive, but unfortunately the whole album was deleted from the hard drive instead.
Luckily I still had it on another device.
This seems to be a bug, right?
My guess is No, but I do agree that there is room for improvement.

You spoke of the the three dot menu for a track. So you were in Grid View, and you had an album's inline panel open ... like this? ... The remainder of this post is written making this assumption.

The click on the three dot menu invokes the context menu, but does not alter what is selected.
The whole album would have been selected, and your click did not alter that selection.
You clicked the Remove option, and that is programmed to remove all "selected" tracks.

The confirmation panel would have said "Are sure that you want to delete N tracks?"
And the Status Bar at the bottom of the main panel would have showed you how many track were currently selected (see the red box in my 1st illustration).

If you had clicked the track, before clicking the three dots, you would have narrowed the selection to just the clicked track, and only that track would have been deleted.

You may be unhappy about this, but if a click on a three dot menu DID ALTER what was selected, how would you delete a selected group of tracks?

I do think that the behaviour could be improved. The track were you clicked would have been a different colour to all the other tracks in the album.

This could seem to indicate that it is just that track is "selected".
Actually it just showed the current focus point. ... ie you are positioned on that specific track, and an arrow key will move you in the arrows orientation, from that position.

It would be clearer that a click on, or hover over, the track's three dot menu toggled off the colour focus change for the track, so that it didn't give the appearance of the track being "selected". I think that would improve things. What do you think?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Dancer

Post by Dancer »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:26 am If you had clicked the track, before clicking the three dots, you would have narrowed the selection to just the clicked track, and only that track would have been deleted.

You mean I would have to select a track somehow, maybe just start playing it and then I could delete it?
For me it is logical just to use the 3 dots of a track directly.
To make it more clear:
The selected album has 3 dots that I can click.
Likewise, each individual track to the right of the play arrow also has 3 dots.
These are the ones I clicked.
Either these dots are removed from the view by the programmers, or they are linked correctly, so that really only the track is deleted.

Edit:
I just checked how else it could work. Without using the dots of any track I could rightclick the track and delete it.
To repeat my idea: Either these dots are removed from the view by the programmers, or they are linked correctly, so that really only the track is deleted.

Edit 2:
Now I have checked the dots of a track again by risking to delete the whole album. In this case they are working fine.
Strange.
I have to check it again. I don't know what had happened in the other case for which I wrote this topic. Maybe it is different when a file / track is double?
MMW 5.0.4.2690 beta Gold on WIN 10-64Bit Vers. 22H2
MMA 2.0.0.1080 Pro on Android 12
Vivaldi browser
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Thanks for reporting, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19806

Note that there is a warning confirming x tracks to be deleted, but unlike other items from the same Context Menu that only operated on the specific file of the 3 dots, Remove works on all files on the Album.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Dancer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:14 am Edit 2:
Now I have checked the dots of a track again by risking to delete the whole album. In this case they are working fine.
Strange.
I have to check it again. I don't know what had happened in the other case for which I wrote this topic. Maybe it is different when a file / track is double?
After re-examining following LowLanders and your further comments, I think that there are multiple errors in the behaviour in this panel. I think that the strangeness that you report here is that there are differing outcomes depending upon whether you had done any clicks within the newly opened inline panel. If you have not clicked in there, it wants to remove all tracks. But if you have clicked in there, it wants to deleted the last clicked track, which may not even be the track whose triple dot menu that you clicked!
Dancer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:14 am Either these dots are removed from the view by the programmers, or they are linked correctly, so that really only the track is deleted.
I think that the three dots at the track level should be removed. They are dangerous, because they create confusion. They are anomaly, ie. the other track displays don't have them AFAICS. And they superfluous because they are covered by the right click menu.
Lowlander wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:11 pm Note that there is a warning confirming x tracks to be deleted, but unlike other items from the same Context Menu that only operated on the specific file of the 3 dots, Remove works on all files on the Album.
Not always. It is complex. I think that they should be removed.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rolandson

Re: Deleting one track only delets all instead [#19806]

Post by rolandson »

If I have a few double tracks,is it possible that MM can show me which one is high res or has more Mb?
Lowlander

Re: Deleting one track only delets all instead [#19806]

Post by Lowlander »

You can use Bitrate and/or Filesize columns to help you choose the better quality version.