MM shows content on iPod Classic - iPod disagrees

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gobstopper

MM shows content on iPod Classic - iPod disagrees

Post by gobstopper »

Hi -

Forgive me in advance if this is outside the scope of this forum but I have encountered the following issue with my iPod classic and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. :(

I've had the device for a number of years and have only ever used MM to sync content (music & audiobooks). All of a sudden the device itself is claiming to have "No Music". If I go to Settings, the value it shows for free storage would imply that there's definitely data stored on the device, though proceeding to Settings --> About it claims this space it taken up by "Other" rather than audio, video, or photo.

Despite this, if I connect the iPod to my PC and load MM (4.1.8.1751 in my case on Windows 10), it recognises the device, it shows that the device has 36.8GB of "Audio" content, and I can drill down and see all of the albums and audiobooks I have synchronised to this device. I can even select tracks from the iPod and play them in MM - so the content is there. I can also delete content from the iPod, eject from MM, reconnect to MM and re-sync with the content in question re-appearing in MM under the iPod device, but upon ejecting again the device still claims to have "No Music".

It has, admittedly, been a quite a long time since I've had to do anything more than syncing new data to my device, but I found by right-clicking on the "iPod" entry that there was a "Rebuild Device database" option available to me. I hoped that would be the answer to my problem and selecting this option I waited for it to complete (which took 3-4 minutes). Sadly, upon ejecting the iPod it still claimed to have no music to play and even after a reboot (pressing Menu+Select for a few seconds) once it had rebooted the situation hadn't changed.

I'd be grateful for any advice which will help me to get my device operational again.

Many thanks.
-Phil.
Peke

Re: MM shows content on iPod Classic - iPod disagrees

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As a first step you should update to latest MM4 version from https://www.mediamonkey.com/MediaMonkey-4_Setup.exe (unless you want to switch to MM5) and then try to rebuild DB on iPod.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gobstopper

Post by gobstopper »

Thank you Peke for your prompt response, much appreciated.

I had previously assumed I was on the current version of MM v4 as I did a "check for updates" and it reported that what I had was the current version.

I've now downloaded from the link provided by you and updated to 4.1.3.1.1919. Given my fairly basic requirements (which is just to sync music & audiobook files from folders on my PC to the iPod Classic device), is v5 going to bring significant improvements? - otherwise I will be happy to stick with v4.

Anyway, having upgraded to 4.1.3.1.1919, I reconnected my iPod and peformed another "Rebuild Device database" action from the right-click menu. I watched it progress through the 3763 items in the library (which took about 3 minutes) and when it was complete I ejected the device from MM.

Sadly, like with the previous attempt using the older version of MM4, the iPod still claims to have "No Music". :(
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
gobstopper wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:19 am Sadly, like with the previous attempt using the older version of MM4, the iPod still claims to have "No Music".
Sorry to hear that. Maybe https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... d-plug-in/ will fix the problem.

NOTE: Just do not forget to close MM -> use Right Click -> Run As Administrator -> Tools -> Extensions -> Add and install downloaded plugin. Let us know if you need further instructions.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gobstopper

Post by gobstopper »

Sorry to hear that. Maybe https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... d-plug-in/ will fix the problem.
Thanks again.

Not sure if I'm going round in circles though. I've run MM4 in administrator mode, as instructed, and navigated to Tools --> Exensions. I then wondered what to do next, when I realised the only active buttons where Add and Close and when I clicked on Add it opened a file explorer window. When I saw this I noticed you had said -
Add and install downloaded plugin
So, I clicked on the link you also provided, which takes me to iPod Plug-in 4 but when I click on the Download button all it seems to do is take me to a new page to download MM5, not the plug-in.

Is this the correct link?

When I do manage to get the plug-in and install it, is there something specific I need to do, or will it be a case of re-running the Rebuild Device database option as previously discussed?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The correct Addon update, that is required to be installed is: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... nc-plugin/
gobstopper

Post by gobstopper »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:28 pm The correct Addon update, that is required to be installed is: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... nc-plugin/
Thank you, that's much appreciated :)

I have downloaded the extension, as per your link, and then followed the recommendation in Peke's original response to rebuild the device database. Once completed, I then ejected the iPod and disconnected the cable.

My cover flow images have reappeared and in settings it now recognises that the used storage is made up of audio content rather than "other" and my albums appear to be intact.

Everything appears to be working as expected.

Many thanks to you both!
-Phil.