[REQ] Separators in custom fields not working [#19870]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

[REQ] Separators in custom fields not working [#19870]

Post by ed.j »

It is possible to separate different genres, artists etc using separators like ";"
However it doesn't work in the Custom fields. Please can this be corrected?

If it helps, the reason I have discovered this is that I have been using Custom6 to group songs into playlists. So for example Custom6 may contain Lounge, Sleep, Chill, Party etc. But if it contains more than one group, eg "Lounge; Chill" then when browsing the collection with Custom6 as a filter/column/tree etc, Lounge and Chill for that song are not separated out, instead the list will contain:

Chill
Lounge
Lounge; Chill
Party
Sleep

You can validate that this is working in the incorrect way by loading an offending file into a text editor. Genre is separated properly but Custom6 is not:

Code: Select all

TITLE=Quiet Dreams   ARTIST=Abul Mogard   ALBUM ARTIST=Abul Mogard   ALBUMARTIST=Abul Mogard   ALBUM=Above All Dreams
   TRACKNUMBER=1   ORGANIZATION=Ecstatic   GENRE=Electronica
   GENRE=Ambient	   DATE=2018   ENCODER=Lavf56.36.100
   CUSTOM1=20.01   CUSTOM2=ELP037   CUSTOM5=Serbia   CUSTOM6=Zone Out; Heavy & Drone   ENSEMBLE=Abul Mogard   GROUPING=Online Album?   CODING_HISTORY=A=PCM,F=44100,W=24,M=stereo,T=Sequoia software
+   ENCODED_BY=MATT COLTON at ALCHEMY MASTERING   TIME_REFERENCE=179477fS      
Please can this be fixed?
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Separators in custom fields not working

Post by Lowlander »

Custom fields are not designed as multi-value fields, which is why it doesn't work.
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Can that be changed? I can't see why they shouldn't be multi-value fields?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's not a common request, and making a field a multi-value field does have implications on the database side. However the request stands, if a lot of users provide feedback requesting this it may get picked up.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What Lowlander meant if some field (even non standard) have enough traction and become unofficial standard (multiple common apps uses it same way) we are always willing to reconsider and add correct that.

Also, MM open up all fields and there is some functionality needed, while someone is willing to make addon we will be here to give full support and help to make it happen.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback and I know this is an unusual use case. Ideally it would be fixed, because really it should work, but I know that it affects probably 0.000001% of people using MM so is right at the bottom of the pile!

I tried a workaround by using the Mood tag which should be properly supported by MM, however I have found that for MP3 files using a separator does not result in separate tags, but instead a single tag with ";" in the middle. It does however work correctly for FLAC files.

So essentially for MP3 files you cannot properly store multiple Mood tags as they are just bunched together eg "Soft; Lounge; Vocal" rather than having three individual tags.

I think there is a genuine request here for this to be fixed.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@ed.j

I use the "CustomFieldsTagger" addon in MM4 - (classification, genre) and it works perfectly, also with MP3,FLAC,OGG,WAV.
How do you get that percentage? Have you interviewed all users personally?

Ich verwende in MM4 das Addon "CustomFieldsTagger" - (Klassifikation, Genre) und es funktioniert tadellos, auch mit MP3,FLAC,OGG, WAV.
Wie kommen sie auf diese Prozentzahl? Haben Sie alle Anwender persönlich befragt?
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:52 am @ed.j

I use the "CustomFieldsTagger" addon in MM4 - (classification, genre) and it works perfectly, also with MP3,FLAC,OGG,WAV.
How do you get that percentage? Have you interviewed all users personally?

Ich verwende in MM4 das Addon "CustomFieldsTagger" - (Klassifikation, Genre) und es funktioniert tadellos, auch mit MP3,FLAC,OGG, WAV.
Wie kommen sie auf diese Prozentzahl? Haben Sie alle Anwender persönlich befragt?
It was an exaggeration... basically saying I know it probably affects a small number of users.

I use MM5 so can't use MM4 addons unfortunately.

However my comment about mood tags not working for MP3 files is valid!
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

ed.j wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:07 pm
If you are lucky enough to have two PCs then I can recommend having a "slave" PC running MMW4 and a "Master" running MMW5. The unlocks ALL the power of the many MMW4 add-ons! Your MMW5 license supports running MMW4.

The technique I use is to synchronise my "master" files (desktop) to the "slave" (laptop) and temporarily exit MMW5.

Now I can use MMW4 and make changes.

When changes are complete, I simply synchronise back the changed files from the "slave" to "master", rescan and MMW5 has then changes.

Obviously both devices need to be on the same network with appropriate sharing set-up.

The add-ons I use in this manner include: Tagging Inconsistencies, RegExp Find and Replace, Magic Nodes, Lyricator and Discogs Tagger.

Synchronisation can be performed using something like Beyond Compare (Barry4679) or Salty Brine's FolderMatch.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:23 am
ed.j wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:07 pm
If you are lucky enough to have two PCs then I can recommend having a "slave" PC running MMW4 and a "Master" running MMW5. The unlocks ALL the power of the many MMW4 add-ons! Your MMW5 license supports running MMW4.

The technique I use is to synchronise my "master" files (desktop) to the "slave" (laptop) and temporarily exit MMW5.

Now I can use MMW4 and make changes.

When changes are complete, I simply synchronise back the changed files from the "slave" to "master", rescan and MMW5 has then changes.

Obviously both devices need to be on the same network with appropriate sharing set-up.

The add-ons I use in this manner include: Tagging Inconsistencies, RegExp Find and Replace, Magic Nodes, Lyricator and Discogs Tagger.

Synchronisation can be performed using something like Beyond Compare (Barry4679) or Salty Brine's FolderMatch.

Hope this helps.
I have thought about this kind of setup but really don't want to have two instances of MM running. Should be able to achieve something relatively simple like this with one programme.

It would make your life a lot easier by the way, to have MM4 running in portable mode on the same machine as MM5 - then you wouldn't have to faff around with syncing etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Multi-value mood will be saved as multi-tags for MP3 in MediaMonkey 5.1: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19870
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:16 pm Multi-value mood will be saved as multi-tags for MP3 in MediaMonkey 5.1: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19870
AMAZING THANK YOU

Is there a target release date for 5.1 ?
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Separators in custom fields not working [#19870]

Post by Lowlander »

No, but you can subscribe to this topic to be notified when testing starts.
ed.j

Re: [REQ] Separators in custom fields not working [#19870]

Post by ed.j »

Ta
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

ed.j wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:32 am
I have thought about this kind of setup but really don't want to have two instances of MM running. Should be able to achieve something relatively simple like this with one programme.

It would make your life a lot easier by the way, to have MM4 running in portable mode on the same machine as MM5 - then you wouldn't have to faff around with syncing etc.
Entirely possible to have two instances on one machine but personally I like to have "backups" of the work. Whilst MMW5 (and MMW4 via an add-on) provide a way to backup the MMW database, much of your time and effort is spent on the tags within the files. I am not aware of an easy / low cost way to backup the "tags / files" and find an external HDD (albeit in an old PC) a reasonable way to provide a level of backup.

I seem to recall that a portable install of MMW4 places some limitations on add-ons and "Discogs" tagging AND some commenting in MMW5 was/is(?) "deprecated". If you don't use these particular features then your suggestion should work reasonably well.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor