MM5 Portable Not Working

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

richiefinger

MM5 Portable Not Working

Post by richiefinger »

I normally use a portable version of MM5. I have a shortcut to it on the desktop.
Using it until yesterday no problems.
This morning I double click on the shortcut and it just tries to install instead of open.
I haven't changed or moved any files.
Not sure how to find the version number without installing, didn't want to do that in case it overwrites the database.
What should I do as database has thousands of playlists.
W10 Home
richiefinger

Re: MM5 Portable Not Working

Post by richiefinger »

V 5.0.4.2690 is the last version showing in my Downloads folder
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

My first thought would be to use Windows Explorer or other to make at least one external copy of the DB file from your portable install folder into some other folder or drive. It should have yesterday date on it, if it is the right one.

Once you have that safely backed up, then you can try other things, such as to re-install as portable, and then copy in your existing db file.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Cheers Rob,
Had already been doing exactly that before read your reply.

I created a system install rather than a portable one and tried restoring from the old db file:
This came up with the following error:
Application throw an exception Termination of thread [13216] tppk too long!
(N:\Delphi\MediaMonkey504\HTML5Monkey\GenThread.pas, line 1703)
Would you like to restart MediaMonkey in safe mode?

I chose continue and the screen just hung with the thin orange line that shows when updating the database.
I waited 10 mins to see if anything changed, then ended MM using task manager.
Tried this all again to make sure it wasn't a one off and same happened, this time I chose start in safe mode.
Just got a black screen and had to close down with task manager again.
Ran the new System MM install from the default shortcut on the desktop and got the Elevator splash screen asking if ok to change settings on this computer (this is what happened with the original problem with the portable install)
Clicked yes. And the new install of MM opened.
Tried running the restore db again and this time it worked.
Changed all the settings to my chosen settings such as turning off metadata lookup!!!!! (please turn this off by default, its awful and gets so much wrong art, metadata etc)
Now I have a working version of MM5 again with one problem:
I can't sync my android phone because it's looking for the portable install. I have a 512GB SD card in the phone that will take days to resync.

So tried running the original MM5 portable shortcut again to see if it would open now, and it just opens the system install???!!
It seems like the shortcut has changed the path somehow?

Went into the portable directory and created a new shortcut and it still opens the new system install????!!
What's going on?

I know its the new install because I changed the system font to small and played a test track, and its still on the same track and font when I open the old portable install.

Happy to use the system install if I knew it wouldn't take days to resync my MMA library, but why has the portable started to open the incorrect database/not see the original database?

I have a 2nd portable install for a separate project. Have just ran that and it works as it should.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you install the regular version install on top of the portable install location?

In MMA, you'll need to select the correct Sync server.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

No. Installed the regular version in the default location.
The portable versions are in seperate folders in the default windows music folder. Nothing else in that folder.

Yes I've synced to MMA now, last time I did it it redownliaded everything.

This time it was ok.

I'd still like to know why the portable version just stopped working for no reason???
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Shortcut may have pointed the wrong location, but that may be a Windows issue. Reinstalling the Portable if running MediaMonkey.exe fails should fix things.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

So I have just had the same issue happen again.
This time it was with the system install (not portable).
What seems to happen is MM tries to open as a new install, you get the elevator prompt to allow changes to be made to your pc.
The database loads as it was before , playlists, play count etc are all there, but the mm install is as if from new.

White home screen
Collection nodes in wrong order (earliest collection first from what I can see)
Field columns in browser go back to default
ie length, title, artist etc are all in default order
Playback rules such as crossfader are default
metadata lookup etc etc etc (PLEASE TURN THIS OFF AS DEFAULT)
Why is the database being saved but not the settings?
This is a huge pain in the butt as have to spend about an hour resetting everything every time this happens
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -are-lost/

Which Build (Help > About) did this happen with?
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Was the same build when using the portable install.
Checked through the link, I don't have any registry editors and haven't touched the registry.
This is a red herring anyway as the same thing happened to my portable installation (see start of this thread)

This is the 2nd time in as many weeks that it's happened (system install).
The only other programs that have run on my machine in these two weeks are:
Microsoft Edge Browser
Audacity
Tuneblade

The first instance with the portable install happened before I had Tuneblade installed

W10 Home V. 22H2

I've just paused Windows 10 auto updates for 35 days(the max), lets see if anything happens in that time period.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

On the Portable Install it really shouldn't happen as it is self-contained. It could be that at some point a regular install was installed on top of it (you do need to select Portable Install each update), which then explains it.