iTunes Ratings will not import with new setup

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

befey

iTunes Ratings will not import with new setup

Post by befey »

Hi, I'm a new Mediamonkey user trying to make the switch from Itunes.

I've tried to import my iTunes library multiple times and it just does not seem to be getting the ratings and play count, etc that it is supposed to.

My iTunes library lives in a non default location on a secondary hard disk. I set this directory properly using the Shift + open iTunes method and the media folder is set in iTunes preferences.

I always check the boxes on the import / scan folder to enable iTunes import.

I have tried:

1. First I wanted to move my music folder out of iTunes Media folder to the top level of my media drive. Scan went fine, but no iTunes info imported. Makes sense I guess since the media is no longer in iTunes folder.

2. Moved the media back to its normal location within iTunes folder. Cleared Mediamonkey database and tried to reimport now from the top level of iTunes folder. All the media imported, but still no iTunes metadata.

3. I read in another post that Mediamonkey looks for an iTunes preferences file in my User/Roaming folder. I don't have the preferences XML file there, but I did find an iTunes preferences PLIST file within my itunes media folder which I made a copy of and put in the Roaming folder. Cleared database and reimported. All files imported, still no iTunes metadata.

I'm at a loss. I really need to get off of iTunes but I can't leave behind all the ratings I've spent years working on. I know this is supposed to work, but I just can't figure out what to do.
befey

Re: iTunes Ratings will not import with new setup

Post by befey »

Is this not the best place to ask for help with this? I'd like to switch to Mediamonkey, but I can't if my iTunes info won't carry over.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is the iTunes database file in a non-default location, or is it just the media files themselves?

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using and iTunes can still play the media (indicating step 2 was done correctly)?
befey

Post by befey »

Yes the database file is also on the secondary drive.

I have an iTunes folder with the Library.xml and within that folder iTunes Media with all the music files. iTunes can still find everything after I moved the folder back to this location.

MediaMonkey ver 5.0.4.2690
befey

Post by befey »

Is there really no solution to importing itunes data? Is this happening because I used a non-default drive? I suppose I could move everything back to C:\ just to get the import to work?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

On which drive are the files located?
And can you share small part of the iTunes XML file ?

Namely if the XML contains path like:
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/C:/Users/Carlos/Music/My.mp3</string>
then the track location needs to be
C:/Users/Carlos/Music/My.mp3
befey

Post by befey »

The files are on my D:\ drive within an iTunes folder I created there. I've never had any issues with iTunes finding the files, been using it for 15 years or something.

I checked to XML file now like you suggested and the Location string points to the correct path on D:\

I'm not having any problems importing all the tracks into MediaMonkey. It's just not importing any of the rating and play count information from the iTunes Library XML file.
befey

Post by befey »

Do we have any idea what I could try to get the iTunes metadata over to MediaMonkey? It seemed like this was a selling point for MediaMonkey. I'd really like to get this working. Is it a bug that can be fixed or something I'm doing wrong?
befey

Post by befey »

I found the suggestion of exporting playlists from iTunes of each star rating to at least move that information over. But when I rescan with MediaMonkey the folder where I saved the exported playlists, it also does not import those.

Edit: Nevermind I found where it did actually import the playlists.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Replied via [Ticket #5586]
befey

Post by befey »

I gave up trying to get the iTunes data to import. I at least got the ratings transferred over using the playlist of each star rating method.