MM5 library takes two runs to fully refresh

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

niggle

MM5 library takes two runs to fully refresh

Post by niggle »

Hi,

I've had this behaviour for months (maybe always), but have just lived with it ...

Whenever I move or remove tracks from my music collection (in file explorer, say) on the next run of MM5 the old tracks are still listed in the library (although if I select one of the tracks the album art is blank), along with duplicate tracks if I've moved something. I then just close MM5 and re-run it. The library listing is then always correct with the historical entries removed.

My music collection is stored on internal C drive, so nothing unusual there. And the music location is enabled for rescan at startup.

I've just got into the habit of running MM5 twice, but now wondering if there's something I should try to clear the problem. Like rebuilding the library, even though it seems fine (after 2 runs).

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: MM5 library takes two runs to fully refresh

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using and is the option to Remove unavailable items?
niggle

Post by niggle »

It's 5.0.4.2690 and yes, 'Remove Unavailable Items' is enabled.

And unavailable items are always removed on the 2nd invocation.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That is normal behavior as on first run it index missing tracks allowing you to use Locate/moved missing tracks to correct new path, so if you restart MM assume that missing tracks needs to be cleaned.

Example if it is done on first run and you added external HDD to MM library (not as sync device) then it would remove all tracks from it each time you start MM and drive is not connected.

If you have monitored folder continuously (and you delete track of that folder while MM is started) or you rescan folder it will remove them without restart.

I know it is perfect, but it is safeguard. Can you please explain in bit more details what you want to archive with MM and how many tracks MM scans on startup?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
niggle

Post by niggle »

Hi Peke,

I question whether it's normal behaviour, since on the 1st run there's no popup for the option to 'locate/moved missing tracks'. Maybe this is the fundamental issue. Those deleted items 'silently' remain in the MM library listing until the 2nd run.

Next time it happens I could try manually rescanning the music folder, but I'm pretty sure I've tried that before, and the deleted tracks remained listed.
Can you please explain in bit more details what you want to archive with MM and how many tracks MM scans on startup?
Not sure what you mean by
archive with MM
I expect MM library to accurately reflect what's in the folder on 1st run, given that add/rescan is enabled at startup, and 'Remove unavailable items' is also enabled.

MM scans about 5000 tracks in a music folder, plus about 600 films and 1300 series episodes on a separate external SSD.

Thanks !!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

niggle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:48 am Whenever I move or remove tracks from my music collection (in file explorer, say) on the next run of MM5 the old tracks are still listed in the library (although if I select one of the tracks the album art is blank), along with duplicate tracks if I've moved something. I then just close MM5 and re-run it. The library listing is then always correct with the historical entries removed.
Your problem goes away if you use MediaMonkey to move or delete tracks.
That way your physical tracks and your database are kept in sync.
You would do this using the Folders node. It is best to have two tabs open if you are moving tracks.
At first it appears quite clumsy, but there is a narrow path that I find works really well.
Let me know if you want help to find the narrow path.

I think that Peke is saying the MM has a built in safeguard.
I didn't know that.
As you say the safeguard is not valuable unless MM were to alert you at the 1st startup following the move or delete.
Maybe there is something that he hasn't explained fully?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Hi, yes, I'd fully expect the problem to go away if I use MM to move/delete files. But I'd prefer to carry on running MM twice, rather than make that change in my use case, because my file/folder management (other than file auto renaming) is done outside of MM.

I can see that a safeguard is needed, but I'd still expect to see the 'locate/remove missing tracks' option to pop up, and this often doesn't happen. I say often because I have seen that pop up sometimes, but I'm not sure the exact scenarios where it is/isn't triggered.

So yeah, I guess therein lies the crux of the issue. Hoping for further insight from Peke.