Auto Tag wave files with no metadata

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Mark Hiner

Auto Tag wave files with no metadata

Post by Mark Hiner »

I'm new to MMW5... I'm trying to AutoTag wave files that have no metadata whatsoever. The files are all names with numeric numbers. They were created in 2008. When I select a group of files to Auto Tag, it says it is processing but it doesn't find any data. How does the fingerprinting work? Does it need a watermark in the audio or is it literally sampling the audio and matching it to a database? I apologize if these are dumb questions... thanks in advance for your help!
Barry4679

Re: Auto Tag wave files with no metadata

Post by Barry4679 »

MM doesn't (cannot?) do much tagging of wave files.
It is something to do with a lack of agreed standardisation for tagging in wave files I think.

Try creating a flac copy of one of your wave tracks, and then try what you are attempting.
There is no loss of data from a wave => flac conversion.

See this thread for how_to_do.

I have not tried the MM5 fingerprinting facility, and the online help is almost silent on the topic.
I am confident that it would not require that the tracks contain a "fingerprint".
It would scan the track to calculate a fingerprint, and then look that up somewhere to obtain tags.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.