Moving library to new drive and path

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

befey

Moving library to new drive and path

Post by befey »

I'm trying to move my entire music library to a new drive. The base directory will be changing.

Previously D:/iTunes/Music/etc...

Now E:/Music/etc...

The folder structure of the actual music files is identical.

I followed the instructions I found in the help files. Went to the Library > Location > Media Properties and changed the drive there to the new E drive.

The instructions seem to say that you can then rescan and it will find all the files in the new location.

I noticed that underneath where it said E it still showed the old path through iTunes/Music/etc that doesn't exist under the new structure but the instructions didn't mention that.

So I went the the rescan, removed the old scan folder and added the new one and started a rescan.

It began duplicating all of my files. So I cancelled.

Deleted all the duplicates it made out of my library.

But now I have both locations under my Library > Location

E:\Old Path that doesn't exist to files on the old D drive
E:\Music\with\some\of the new folders it found before I cancelled\empty because I removed the duplicate files

What am I doing wrong? How do I just point MediaMonkey to the new folder with all the same files in it?
Timo_Beil

Re: Moving library to new drive and path

Post by Timo_Beil »

The instructions for changing a drive assume that the complete file structure is the same on both drives.
Previously D:/iTunes/Music/etc... becomes E:/iTunes/Music/etc...
When I migrate my Mediafiles to an other location (folder or drive), I make a simple copy with the explorer.
Then I disconnect my old drive.
In MM5 I select Entire Library > All tracks and let MM search the new location (Files > Locate moved/missing files...)
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
befey

Post by befey »

Files > Locate moved/missing files... is only available in the paid Gold version. I will gladly buy a copy of MediaMonkey if I can get it to work properly. I have been having nothing but headaches and no one seems to be able to tell me what's going wrong.

It wouldn't import iTunes metadata like it's supposed to. And now it won't let me move the file structure out of the old iTunes folder to a generic top level folder.

Every time I've tried doing both of these things some amount of ID3 tags also get lost. I've edited them with iTunes, Foobar2k and now MediaMonkey and on some random tracks bits of the ID3 data are discarded on import.

I'd love to use this program, from what I've been able to use I really like it better than iTunes especially.

But I'm not going to buy a copy until I can actually get my music imported completely.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

First, the best method is to use MediaMonkey to move the files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... enames/5.0

Re-assign Drive only works when the Paths stay the same: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive

Locate Moved/Missing Files is the only method if files were already moved and moved to a different file structure.

None of these methods would lose tags as the database values remain in use. If tags are lost on files scanned in new, it indicates the tags weren't saved to the files. DB/Tag Mismatches will show these files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Mismatches