How to backup the MM5 preferences? (crashes)

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Coincident

How to backup the MM5 preferences? (crashes)

Post by Coincident »

Hello.
Long time MediaMonkey Gold user here.

Ever since I've upgraded to MM5 I've been getting random crashes on startup almost every day. There's no LOG ID or any information; just a couple of buttons to "restart" "retry" or "ignore". Only restart works, so I usually press that. However, sometimes after restart, MM5 completely resets all of it's preferences to default: skins, settings, hotkeys, playback preferences, window sizes, custom columns and views, everything gone!

I have already configured the app 4 times from scratch since I upgraded to MM5 and I must have wasted a good couple of hours repeating this process. This never happened with MM4; which was very stable. I love MediaMonkey but I'm sad to say that I'm starting to regret the upgrade...

So how can I backup MM5's preference files? Where are they located?
I want to copy those files somewhere else so that when this problem happens again I can just copy-paste everything back again.
Timo_Beil

Re: How to backup the MM5 preferences? (crashes)

Post by Timo_Beil »

The most important infos (besides the database) are in the Mediamonkey.ini and persistent.json. Thumbs are in the folders Thumbs and VideoThumbnails.
These are all in the Portable subfolder for a portable version, or in %Appdata%/Mediamonkey5/ for an installation.
I synchronize the above data regularly between the PCs to have the same settings everywhere.
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Thank you. I'll try copying the entire %Appdata%/Mediamonkey5/ folder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the crashes in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.