Album art disappeared after sync [#19690]

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

rednoise

Album art disappeared after sync [#19690]

Post by rednoise »

MMA version 2.0.0.1076, Android 13, album art embedded in each file, no external art images. Everything had been working and all album art was displayed as expected... until a couple days ago. I added a few songs to my MMW library and did a wi-fi sync with my phone. Now, no album art is displayed in MMW except for the few new songs I added at that time. None of the other 8700-or-so songs on the phone display their album art, only the generic monkey icon. The files do still have their album art within them, it's just not displayed. I have initiated a "Check for new/changed media" operation, but it didn't help.

What can I do to get my art back and visible?
rednoise

Re: Album art disappeared after sync

Post by rednoise »

Does nobody have anything to say about this topic? I see some other complaints about album art not syncing, but their circumstances see a bit different. Maybe their issues are related to mine?

I find that if I delete the files from the library on my phone, then sync with MMW so that all those tracks are downloaded to the phone AGAIN, the artwork shows up. But I really don't want to sync 8000+ tracks all over again. Is there no way to refresh the library database on the phone without doing a complete physical sync from scratch?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

This issue has occurred for a few other users, and is tracked at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19690

We created a fix that we'd hoped solved the problem in build 1076, but it seems that it still hasn't solved the issue in some cases.

Can you tell me:
- what sequence of of updates you did (e.g. directly from 1.4x to 2.0.0.1076)?
- what device you're using?
- where content is stored to the device?
- what your sync settings are in the device sync profile > Tagging ?
- how you sync (USB, Wifi Sync) and whether you've ever synced differently?
- whether you successfully granted access to all folders the first time that MMA 2 was run?

Lastly, assuming you're on build 1076 or higher, can you run MM, replicate the bug, and then submit a debug log (from the menu, click Help > Send logs) and share the log ID here?

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for your help and patience.

-Rusty
rednoise

Post by rednoise »

rusty wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:24 pm Hi,

This issue has occurred for a few other users, and is tracked at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19690

We created a fix that we'd hoped solved the problem in build 1076, but it seems that it still hasn't solved the issue in some cases.

Can you tell me:
- what sequence of of updates you did (e.g. directly from 1.4x to 2.0.0.1076)?
- what device you're using?
- where content is stored to the device?
- what your sync settings are in the device sync profile > Tagging ?
- how you sync (USB, Wifi Sync) and whether you've ever synced differently?
- whether you successfully granted access to all folders the first time that MMA 2 was run?

Lastly, assuming you're on build 1076 or higher, can you run MM, replicate the bug, and then submit a debug log (from the menu, click Help > Send logs) and share the log ID here?

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for your help and patience.

-Rusty
Well, so much time went by with no response that I bit the bullet and deleted my whole library from the phone and resynced it. It works correctly now, but I don't feel confident that it won't happen again.

I can answer some of your questions...

- I usually install updates from Google Play Store as soon as they are offered, so I would have updated from the last version one to the first version 2. I was at 2.0.0.1076 when the problem happened. I see I'm now on -1079.

- Device is a Google Pixel 5a, running Android 13.

- Content is stored at /storage/emulated/0/Music

- You mean on MMW, right? All options are unselected except for "Use only the first genre..." Remember, every audio file has its cover art embedded, and that's how I want it. I want no separate image in the containing folder.

- Wi-fi sync, as I have been doing it for maybe as long as the last year.

- I think I must have granted all permissions properly, because it had been working fine (until it didn't) since I first upgraded to version 2.
rusty

Re: Album art disappeared after sync [#19690]

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the feedback.

If anyone else comes across this issue, please let us know. The simplest solution in the current version in some cases is to navigate to Options > Library & Sync > Choose library folders and if there's a warning about artwork missing because it's not part of the library, follow the instructions shown to add the artwork folder.

-Rusty
adamg1987

Post by adamg1987 »

Hi,

Just read this and wanted to say I have this issue at present. Using an Oppo Find X5 Lite (android/color OS). Everything was working fine until recently. The app updated to the current version (2.0.0.1080) and I synced some new files in the last couple of days - I think I granted access to all the relevant folders but may have left one out - I can't recall.

My files are all saved on a microSD card and are located in:
/storage/3066-3235/Audiobooks
/storage/3066-3235/Music
/storage/3066-3235/Podcasts

The album art of all of the newly synced files came across fine, but the other 12k+ files on there have disappeared. Same as the OP, all images are stored in tags and still there when I view them with the android file explorer.

I also went to the library folder option as you suggested and saw a message about artwork being linked to a folder not in the library, I granted access to some other folders and the message no longer shows up but the artwork hasn't resurfaced either.

I was going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the app and if that fails, wiping and re-syncing but I'm happy to wait and try some other suggestions first. This was via wi-fi syncing
rednoise

Post by rednoise »

I will add that this same thing just happened to ANOTHER phone in my house. This one has had audio files manually copied from a computer to the phone, no sync operations. It had already been running a recent version of MMA2 and all art was displayed as usual. Now, after updating to the latest, the album art isn't displayed, although I know for a fact that it's still embedded in the files themselves. I haven't had time yet to note the particulars. Weird that it has happened to two of my devices.
rusty

Post by rusty »

For files that are copied manually album art may not appear in MMA mainly because MMA currently relies on the Android Media Store for importing metadata (in contrast to when syncing, all metadata and artwork is actually transferred between MMA/MMW). More about this at: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -metadata/

As to the Artwork disappearing from tracks that have been synced, can you let me know whether 'All files access' has been enabled for External Storage, and enable it if not?
1 Go into Android Settings and search for ‘All files access’ and tap it
2 Tap the 3-dot menu in the top-right corner and tap ‘Show System’
3 In the list, locate and tap ‘External Storage’
4 Enable the permission setting ‘Allow access to manage all files’
5 Restart MediaMonkey and Grant Permissions when prompted

Thanks!

-Rusty
adamg1987

Post by adamg1987 »

Hi Rusty,

Sorry for late reply on this, just looking at it again this weekend. I checked and that was enabled, yes. I disabled it and re-enabled it just in case but still no joy. So the entire library that previously all had artwork lost it, but all the newly synced items had theirs.
I'm pretty sure if I wipe it all and re-sync it it will all come back, but willing to try some other suggestions beforehand if you have any.

Cheers
adamg1987

Post by adamg1987 »

just a quick follow up to this - I haven't made any major changes but did another sync with a few new items - they all retained their art/images as I expected, but an interesting thing was thatduring the day before syncing I had used the MMW to play around 30-40 songs that I just queued up one after the other on the fly. The art work for these tracks now shows up in MMA post-sync. Not the entire albums, just the individual tracks that I had played that day. Not sure if that gives any clues as to what is happening/why but I thought it was interesting!
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the ongoing feedback.

Do you have Options > Lookup & Scrobble > 'Lookup missing album art' enabled?

-Rusty
adamg1987

Post by adamg1987 »

I didn't, so I enabled it just now and some artwork began to show but there are two issues:
-I guess for it to display art for all tracks I would seemingly need to play every track or at least one from every album
-the artwork being displayed is not the artwork saved to the track and doesn't match what shows up on MMW - I guess it finds it online but this rather undoes all of the time I spent making sure it was accurate on MMW
rusty

Post by rusty »

I personally prefer not to enable Options > Lookup & Scrobble > 'Lookup missing album art' and didn't mean to suggest that you enable it. I was asking because that could have explained why playing tracks triggered the album art to update.

Back to square 1.

Thanks!

-Rusty
basti_phantasti

Post by basti_phantasti »

rusty wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:53 am Thanks for the feedback.

If anyone else comes across this issue, please let us know. The simplest solution in the current version in some cases is to navigate to Options > Library & Sync > Choose library folders and if there's a warning about artwork missing because it's not part of the library, follow the instructions shown to add the artwork folder.

-Rusty
I have the same issue after add a few Songs to the mmw library and do the wifi sync.
Only a few album arts are left.

And the simple solution is not working. I don't have anymore an folder with the artworks.
MicrORDwave

Post by MicrORDwave »

I'm having the same problem with some tracks randomly losing album artwork after a sync. Running the beta MMA app 1099 and 5.0.4.2690 on MMW. I noticed (after uninstalling, reinstalling, removing and re-adding folders on MMA, manually scanning library for new/changed content, etc etc etc) that sometimes a "adding artwork/scanning/updating album artwork" message will appear after a wifi-sync or manual re-scan of the library, and when this is done a lot of the missing artwork will be fixed, though not all of them if a lot of the tracks have missing artwork. I also have not been able to consistently scan for artwork, I don't know what triggers the artwork-specific scan.

On my sync profile, I have "copy artwork to file tags" on and "sync all artwork to file folders" off. I can see that the tracks have the proper artwork when browsing the files in my phone's native file explorer, so it's a problem on the MMA app not reading the artwork into the library right.

To this end, can a button be added similar to the one used to manually scan artwork, that allows the user to scan for artwork specifically?