No background tasks! [#18866]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

CosmicKnowledge

No background tasks! [#18866]

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

With every successive version of MMA, it seems to always be scanning the file system for new files. Unfortunately this always kills the battery in just over an hour of play time, and it makes everything super slow. The *ONLY* time MMA should be scanning files for changes is during sync. Otherwise, priority needs to be on saving power power and providing a prompt GUI response. Since MMA is doing background tasks on an SD, the entire thing is overloaded to the point where it can take over a minute to respond to Next Song pushbutton inputs or the GUI completely freezes. Background tasks make the device unusable either through slowness or the battery dying extremely fast.

Please do no background tasks unless either:
1) Only during sync,
2) If manually invoked only.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: No background tasks!

Post by Lowlander »

Scanning is controlled by Android Media Scanner not MMA. Do check your Library folders and remove any folders not needed to be included in the Library. Is Video included when you don't require it?
CosmicKnowledge

Hi Lowlander,

I have a device running Android 4.06.00. I don't see any function in the Android settings menus specifying media folders or videos. The closest I can find is "Storage Manager" which appears to measure space usage and to automatically garbage collect against older files. In any case, Storage Manager is disabled already.

The scanning function is presented inside MMA and not externally to it. Right now it says "Scanning files into library: ..." and it's clearly within the MMA GUI. It even allows it to be collapsed and hidden in the MMA GUI.
CosmicKnowledge

Also when I try to manually sync to the MM server, it is temporarily deferring the sync stating:

"Sync is waiting for other background operations to complete."

That provides evidence that MMA is scanning in the background.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The folder selection is within MMA (see link), not Android. Video scanning is known to cause issues for some and will be optimized in the future as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19964
CosmicKnowledge

I'm not sure it's related to video scanning as there are no videos on the SD card or device.

MMA says "Scanning files into the library : Audio". That is the task that takes forever and kills the battery. It seems to always be doing that every time I start using MMA.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build of MMA are you seeing this with? Are the files stored on internal or external (SD) memory? Do other apps access the same files?
CosmicKnowledge

MMA v 2.0.0.1080
Files stored on SD memory only.
No other applications are accessing the files. Everything was stripped down to preserve battery life.

And I just verified again that simply awakening the device from sleep mode caused MMA to say "Scanning files into the library : Audio".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is the memory always in the device? Is the scanning an issue only after a device restart or does it happen otherwise too?
CosmicKnowledge

The SD card is always installed, never removed. Not even a single time is it removed.

Scanning issue happens after restart, after turning it on, or pretty much anytime I start MMA or even navigate around its windows. I would say that 90% of the time some kind of MMA scanning task is occuring.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please send a debug log from MMA after the scanning starts. Especially when it's not after a device restart. Please reply here with the logID(s) of log(s) you send in.
CosmicKnowledge

I've been testing and so far and it seems that removing folders to monitor solved the problem. It still attempts to scan (scanning status message appears) but since folders are removed, it finishes within 5 seconds.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

This is one of the issues that we've given topmost priority for resolving in the next build (post 1084). Can I ask a few more questions?

1) What device are you using?
2) Is Android Options > All files access : Show system > External storage is enabled?
3) How many media files do you have stored to internal memory
4) Did Options > Library & Sync > Choose Library Folders have SD card folders enabled (even though you weren't using the SD card to sync media)? Could it be that disabling the SD Card locations could have been responsible for the improved performance that you're now seeing (rather than disabling the internal storage folders)?
5) Can you re-enable folder scanning of local storage to try to replicate the bug, and if it occurs again submit a debug log (Options > Help > Send log) and share the log ID here immediately after the multi-minute scan occurs?

Thanks!

-Rusty
cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

Hi,

I am having the same issue as described - every time I open MediaMonkey, the background scanning starts.

MMA Version 2.0.0.1084
Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android)

Everything is stored on the External SD Card, never removed.

Log: IUNAIBXGPH
Primarily using: MM4 (latest update) Gold on Windows 11 (32GB RAM);
Samsung A54G 128GB/1TB MicroSD.

Library: 1875GB (254680+) files, on a Network Drive (Windows)
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Yes, this is standard behavior. MMA starts scanning when opens(after at least half an hour in idle).
If there are no changes, scanning should take a few seconds only.
If scanning takes more time, there must be some changes or some issues.
The issue is tracked already here:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18866

Unfortunately, your log did not come for an unknown reason.
Please use "save button" instead "send button" in send logs dialog, open a helpdesk ticket and attach a zip file there when the issue occurs again.
Thanks for your patience.