All of my music suddenly can't be found. Rescan didn't help

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

infestchris

All of my music suddenly can't be found. Rescan didn't help

Post by infestchris »

Background (in case it's relevant)
I've been running MediaMonkey for maybe 10 years. It's super reliable and I've migrated to different devices over the years. These days I have a portable install on a network drive to make migrating to a new PC nice and easy. The music files live on a home NAS and they are always mapped to M:\

I've recently had a headache with my old iPod Classic not working right, but I found the d_ipod.dll issue and eventually fixed it ok.

Current issue
Since then (last month) it was all working fine until suddenly none of my music can be played. I know the scenario well if perhaps the NAS has died or is rebooting. The player skips passed tracks it can't find. I can see that missing tracks come up as greyed out.

Because the app seeing the files on the mapped drive is so important, I have set Windows (10 Pro) to open WIndows Explorer at the right path on login. It does this every time and I've had this in place for years, to make sure the drive path is up OK.

Attempt To Fix - One

I tried to "Locate Moved / Missing Files..." feature but it can't see anything.

I've highlighted one album and run the locate feature, and it just says

Files located in new locations = null
Unmoved files = null
Unlocated files = that whole album I highlighted...

OK, so it has ticked each item for you, and I hit the highlighted "Update" button

Nada. Nothing. A very fast progress bar passes by and I see no visible change.

Has my portable database spontaneously $hit itself and now all of my playlists are broken?

Attempt To Fix - Two

I tried to use "Add/Scan Files to the Library" feature and all it did was add a new version of the same files. The old files are still in the library but grey, and none of my playlists work as they all have the old broken files in them.

The main thing I have noticed is that the Path of the dead files have lost their drive letter (M:\) prefix and just state the name of the drive that was mapped [music]. The new instance of the same identical files does have the path correctly starting with M:\ and these are not greyed out.

The files names are unchanged and the path is too, but Mediamonkey seems to think the path has because it has lost the leading M:\ and replaced it with [music] :cry:

...as an aside, my Autoplaylists have recovered *sort of*, by populating themselves based on rules.

The fundamental issue that Mediamonkey seems to have failed to match the spontaneously-dead files with the identical new ones because the path doesn't match, due to that weird lack of drive letter prefix

What next?

I really don't want to have to rebuild all of my hundreds of playlists :( Thankfully I have them exported as a backup. I could try to reimport these I guess?

...is there some way to manually fix my seemingly broken MM database? A simple find and replace would work, if only I knew how to do that :'(
Lowlander

Re: All of my music suddenly can't be found. Rescan didn't help

Post by Lowlander »

Do the files still have a drive letter in MediaMonkey (it sounds like they don't)? In that case Windows likely changed the driveID (it shouldn't) and thus MediaMonkey can't locate the files (which is why UNC Path is recommended instead of Mapped Drive).

You can fix this with: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... -of-files/ (this is a build in feature of MediaMonkey 5).

Note that you should first remove the newly scanned in files from the database, then fix the old copies. Otherwise you have duplicates.
infestchris

Post by infestchris »

Brilliant, thanks Lowlander! I will give this a try <3
infestchris

Post by infestchris »

This extension works and was really easy to use! Thanks for the advice :)

I highly recommend "Update File Locations" by by Zvezdan Dimitrijević

If you have issues like me, it is super easy to use and well worth the donation, for helping to maintain my precious music collection! 8)