Custom List Sort for Playlist View

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

Custom List Sort for Playlist View

Post by MattTown »

Hi,
I'm trying to define a custom list ("Episode Sort") for use in some playlists. I get the playlist of interest up in the main panel, navigate to the Configure View panel, define a sorting sequence (Original Year, Album Artist, Album, Disc#, Track#), turn off the Info Panel element and then OK the definition.
On returning to the playlist I note that the order of the songs in the playlist has not changed, and the sort indicator for the list is at the default # column.
I try invoking a different list type (Browser, List by album, Grid by album), which (as expected) don't change the default # sort. I select my Episode Sort custom list but the sort sequence again does not change to that configured.
I then go back into the Custom List via Manage Views > Episode Sort (pencil) and find that the custom sort definition that I entered in the previous view creation session is no longer present, being now just # A-Z again.
This behaviour - losing the custom sort sequence - is reliable and repeatable and so appears to be a bug somewhere which overwrites (or fails to write) the defined custom sort list for the playlist view. Given that the playlist never gets sorted into the defined sequence the bug is probably at the dialog exit point.
I regularly have to manually adjust the sort order (both via the sort dialog and by manually moving tracks) to define a play sequence for tracks, so it would be really useful if you could get this fixed so I could use a defined list to do half the work for me.
Thanks
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Rob_S

Re: Custom List Sort for Playlist View

Post by Rob_S »

The fact that sort does not stick for views is a known issue, along with the fact that views created in one place are often not available to be used in other places (nodes)

However, the playlist itself in edit mode can be sorted by clicking on column headers and ctrl-click for secondary sort, and then manually modified if you like, and the resulting order can be saved in the playlist.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... a_Playlist
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Thanks Rob.
I don't have a problem with list sorts being unique to the places/nodes/views, but would really benefit from this list definition functionality being, well, functional.
Thanks for the description of manual sorting via the column headers. I do use manual sort via the dialog box (right click in column heading > Choose columns / Sort > define sort sequence > OK > Save sort button) but I sort by the same six fields every time and I have to do that lots. So having a dialog box promise to do that for me and then just fail is annoying at best.
I hope that the devs can get to this sooner rather than later so that MM5 faces one fewer hurdle to widespread acceptance.
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You might be waiting a while. Meanwhile make the best of the available workarounds.

I will be most surprised if this issue gets a response or acknowledgement from anyone with MM, seems to be a touchy subject. :)

Specifically, we would like the sort attached to a custom view to be FIXED and permanent, each time the view is loaded. If the sort is modified while that view is active, it should not be saved, unless I resave my custom view.

Better yet, we would like custom views to be made available in all nodes where they might apply.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
jaihanuman

Post by jaihanuman »

To implement a custom list sort for a playlist view, you'll need to consider the programming language and framework you're using for your application. However, I can provide you with a general approach that you can adapt to your specific development environment.

Retrieve the playlist data: Fetch the playlist data from your data source or database. This could include the track information such as the title, artist, duration, and any other relevant attributes.

Determine the sort criteria: Decide on the criteria based on which you want to sort the playlist. For example, you might want to sort by track title, artist name, or duration. Ensure that you have a clear understanding of the desired sorting behavior.

Implement the sorting logic:
Write the sorting logic based on the chosen criteria. Most programming languages provide built-in sorting functions or methods that you can utilize. If not, you can implement a custom sorting algorithm that compares the relevant attributes and arranges the tracks accordingly.

Apply the sorting: Call the sorting function or method, passing in the playlist data and the sorting criteria. This will reorder the tracks in the playlist based on your custom sorting logic.

Update the playlist view: Once the sorting is complete, update the playlist view to reflect the new order of the tracks. This could involve refreshing the UI, re-rendering the playlist, or updating the underlying data structure.

Provide user interaction:
If you want to allow users to change the sorting criteria dynamically, consider adding controls or options in the playlist view that enable them to choose different sorting options. Implement the necessary logic to handle these user interactions and update the playlist accordingly.

Remember to test your custom list sort thoroughly to ensure it functions as expected and handles edge cases gracefully. It's also a good practice to consider performance optimizations if you're dealing with large playlists or if the sorting operation needs to be performed in real-time.

The specific implementation details may vary depending on your programming language, framework, and the UI components you're using for the playlist view. Consult the documentation and resources available for your chosen tools to get more specific guidance on sorting data and updating the UI.

I hope this general approach helps you in implementing a custom list sort for your playlist view. If you have any further questions or need more specific guidance, please provide more details about your development environment, and I'll be happy to assist you further.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Nothing so fancy, we are not developers.

We are just requesting that the existing feature in MM5 works as one would expect it to.

We save a layout with a sort, so we expect that sort to be applied when we load our custom layout.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Jaihanuman,
jaihanuman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:34 am you'll need to consider the programming language and framework you're using for your application
No, actually I won't. As Rob said, this post is a commentary on the non-functioning of features available from the existing UI, not a request for programming strategies.

Where did your response come from? Looks like a generic output of an AI bot, and one that didn't pay particular attention to the question. As such, it appears to be spam and should not be in the thread. Note the prompt at bottom "to view more".

Matt