Duplicate Music On iPod Classic

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

diverdez

Duplicate Music On iPod Classic

Post by diverdez »

Hello,
I'm trying to resurrect an old iPod classic for a friend. The iPod has a few thousand tracks on it, and she'd like to add more music to it. Whenever she connects the iPod to a laptop running iTunes, iTunes says that it has to remove all of the music already on the device. She doesn't have access to the laptop that she originally used to put the music on the iPod and doesn't know where she got the music originally.

I've used MediaMonkey to take the music from the iPod onto a new laptop.

I've then pointed MediaMonkey at the folder where I unloaded the iPod music, and am using that as the MediaMonkey library.

I then sychronised the iPod with MediaMonkey, and was expecting no material change to what was on the iPod. However, all the songs are now duplicated. Having a browse around the iPod with MediaMonkey, I can see that the original files are there (e.g. AABV.m4v) but there's also a new version of the file (Dian1.m4v) which I'm assuming has come from MediaMonkey.

I can't find a way to clean up the iPod library, so that it just has the single copy of all of the files. Is there an option that I'm not selecting somewhere when I do the sync? My idea was that I'd now be able to add new music to the MediaMonkey library on the new PC and then sync that over to the iPod.

Cheers
Lowlander

Re: Duplicate Music On iPod Classic

Post by Lowlander »

Sync should match files on the device to files in the MediaMonkey Library, but depending on conversions to the files this may not happen (in which case you'll need to do a clean Sync).

Which build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
diverdez

Post by diverdez »

Hello,
I'm using the latest version of MediaMonkey on Windows - 5.0.5.2695. Is there a "clean sync" button somewhere? I'll have a look, but if you could point me to it, that would be super handy...
Thank you!
diverdez

Post by diverdez »

Hello,
I found it. It was the "Delete unsynced files" option down at the bottom of the sync screen. I think that the problem was actually caused by the playlists. I'd assumed that these were just a list of filenames, but when I went looking at them, they seemed to be hard links to the actual music files. I'm wondering if the music had always been duplicated. Never mind, I deleted the playlists and all of the duplicates got tidied up to. So that's a win.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.