Cross-fade or Gapless

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

farrbot

Re: Cross-fade or Gapless

Post by farrbot »

nohitter151 wrote:I think its hard to believe you could find a more obvious spot to disable this than under the "Play" menu.
Of course "obvious" once you know its there!

Mediamonkey is a fantastic application with lots of features and can take some time to work out how to get everything done. I for one would love to be able to toggle the crossfade on and off with a button rather than a menu item, one less click. Doesnt appear possible to set a hotkey for it either. A pity as it seems to be something I use a lot when switching music genres.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

go to the output plugins option and configure the direct sound. you can adust crossfade there. :D

i think what nohitter151 was getting at was that its the most likely place for player controls to be.
and just a few seconds of looking at the drop down menus to see what can be done is all it would have taken to find it..

most newbies to programs i found don't do any searching for options which they should do it would save them time of waiting for replys in forums. but we will answer here too its just almost new program class 101 to look for options. i guess on that it would be new program 100 to look for help in forums. :lol: 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Post by guest »

I scanned the menus and searched the help and did not find it. I did not know the term to be crossfade. I was looking for playback options and gapless was the closest term I had in my vocabulary. I googled gapless media monkey and found this thread. IOW, the feature was totally hidden to me without the help of this thread even though I looked thoroughly.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

guest wrote:I scanned the menus and searched the help and did not find it. I did not know the term to be crossfade. I was looking for playback options and gapless was the closest term I had in my vocabulary. I googled gapless media monkey and found this thread. IOW, the feature was totally hidden to me without the help of this thread even though I looked thoroughly.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=115
????
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by guest »

The four ???? marks are asking why I did not use that tool to find the answer? Because Google is my friend (it worked first) and because I would not have asked the question that way. You need the correct terminology to ask the question. I did not have it. I would not ask why they "overlap," I knew it was a switch setting I needed to find. A proper index or help function meets the user on the user's turf. The help provided in the product failed to do that.

I am new to MM and have only invested enough effort to load LAME so I can use the product for free.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

guest wrote:The four ???? marks are asking why I did not use that tool to find the answer? Because Google is my friend (it worked first) and because I would not have asked the question that way. You need the correct terminology to ask the question. I did not have it. I would not ask why they "overlap," I knew it was a switch setting I needed to find. A proper index or help function meets the user on the user's turf. The help provided in the product failed to do that.

I am new to MM and have only invested enough effort to load LAME so I can use the product for free.
That FAQ entry can be found quite easily by clicking the large "Support" button at the top of this and the MediaMonkey webpage.

Post by guest »

Thanks for your pointer, it's probably useful sometimes. When I solve problems I use the help contained in the product first. I usually Google next because the vendor's site is usually included in any results. Finally I get buried in the vendor's KB only if the other attempts fail. In this case I never got past Google, but I'd not have succeeded at the KB because my search vocabulary was wrong. I tried "playback options" and "gapless" and there was nothing. Of course, now I know the term is "crossfade" it's obviously the correct term and I have configured my output options.
Tailpipe

Post by Tailpipe »

The setting for crossfade is in a place that's so un-intuitive. What's worse - there's absolutely no mention of crossfade in the help section. Try searching for cross, fade or crossdade. Nothing comes up! If it really is in the help section, then the help section needs fixing.

Dear developers,
Please correct this ridiculous oversight ASAP!
Tailpipe

Post by Tailpipe »

Apologies for the previous post - my mistake - crossfade is in the help section. However, searching for cross, or cross fade returns no results. Searching for fade only returns a mention of fading audio while in sleep mode and nothing relating to crossfading or it's configuration. This is pretty lame.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

its easy to find if you just search the options for all the things monkey has options for.

which i have said before for newbies to do.

make sure and search the options of the new program you will find almost everything you want in them already.

:D 8)

but if not then just ask in the forum we don't mind too much :( or at all if you need to ask after not finding them in a search. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
geordienz

Post by geordienz »

Tailpipe wrote:Apologies for the previous post - my mistake - crossfade is in the help section. However, searching for cross, or cross fade returns no results. Searching for fade only returns a mention of fading audio while in sleep mode and nothing relating to crossfading or it's configuration. This is pretty lame.
I cannot find any mention of crossfade in Help. Only two mentions of the word "crossfading" and nowhere does it tell you where to set it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

geordienz wrote:
Tailpipe wrote:Apologies for the previous post - my mistake - crossfade is in the help section. However, searching for cross, or cross fade returns no results. Searching for fade only returns a mention of fading audio while in sleep mode and nothing relating to crossfading or it's configuration. This is pretty lame.
I cannot find any mention of crossfade in Help. Only two mentions of the word "crossfading" and nowhere does it tell you where to set it.
It's in the FAQ, I already linked it:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=115

mmgood

Post by mmgood »

THE POINT, I think, is that any default behavior, especially puzzling stuff, should be described in the application Help and not only in a FAQ.

Nobody's saying the stuff isn't described *anywhere*. It's a gripe about the /product/ documentation bundled with the /product/. I agree that index entries or search results for "fade", "crossfade" and "cross fade" all belong in the stuff that shows up when you hit the Help menu item. If you disagree that this information ought to be in Help, all I can say is... I don't think you're right.
mmgood

Post by mmgood »

...and if you think it's stupid to expect Help to tell you about that default behavior and how to control it, you are absolutely, unequivocally wrong.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Right, MediaMonkey default at installation is to Crossfade and remove silence between songs.
Quite unusual for a player. This behavior has generated a storm of questions and technical support on the forum ...
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].