Script: Radio-DJ [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Re: Script: Radio-DJ [MM3]

Post by Guest »

Hi Uwe,

I'm still using your script and have much fun with it. I have another suggestion, but it might be a bit complex:

Would it be possible to set a minimum of songs between the same artist? Because often there are many songs of the same artist in a very short time.
I guess, this is because of the sorting. If you someday played an album ore at least many songs of one artist and with the same rating, they are very close together in the playlist (sorted by date).

OK, that's not really important, but would be nice to play around with ;-)

Again, thank you for your work with this script!

Olli
Peke

Post by Peke »

When I tested that kind of functionality I think have made one Playlist that will filter tracks Not played for at least 24h and randomize sort then I used that playlist to check for DJ. But I'm certain that it could be added to check artist for not playing in past 4 hours.

Any SQL Experts that could help to create SQL query which will be in loop until random picked track Artist has not been played for at lest 4 hours?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I still seem to be having growing pains with this script. I've not messed with it for about two months, until I added more songs to my library, and I'm sure I've done everything correctly.

Right now I have 100 songs as my limit with over 10,000 to choose from. I continue to get songs duplicated upwards of 7 or 8 times and tonight one song was chosen 13 times. And the script seems to pick an album and use over half the songs.

Does anyone have a suggestion? As I said, I'm sure I have all the settings correct but I may have overlooked something.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Update to Latest version v1.0.2.21 and recheck.
Best regards,
Peke
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I uploaded what I thought was the latest version tonight, v1.2.

Out of 200 songs, one song showed up 7 times in a row and another 11 times in a row along with the whole album by another artist. Many other songs were duplicated as well.

As I don't have every title rated yet so I have the Unknown set to 25, the 5, 4.5, and 4 stars, set to 5 and all others to 10 for a total of 100. Favor factor is 1.

I double checked my auto-playlist and it is sorted correctly, "Last Played" Z..A. Also, RadioDJ is selected for the source "Add Tracks From".

I still must be missing something.
Peke

Post by Peke »

@rrfpacker
It looks that my msg for other Topic ended here :( forget my above comment it was related to last.fm plugin. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Best regards,
Peke
uwuerfel

Post by uwuerfel »

Hi Olli,
Guest wrote: Would it be possible to set a minimum of songs between the same artist?
Because often there are many songs of the same artist in a very short time.
I guess, this is because of the sorting.
Yes, you are right. The sorting is the reason for this behavior.

I see very little chances, that I can change this behavior from within the script.
The best way is probably to experiment with the settings of the playlist.
Maybe you can add a condition like "Artist not played for 8 hours"?

The other thing you could do, is to set "Favor Factor" to 0.
Then all songs in your Input-Playlist have the same probability.

Never the less I will put this idea on my list - but don't expect to much.

CIAo, uwe..
Autor of Radio-DJ
uwuerfel

Post by uwuerfel »

Hi rrfpacker,
rrfpacker wrote: Out of 200 songs, one song showed up 7 times in a row and another 11 times in a row along with the whole album by another artist. Many other songs were duplicated as well.

As I don't have every title rated yet so I have the Unknown set to 25, the 5, 4.5, and 4 stars, set to 5 and all others to 10 for a total of 100. Favor factor is 1.

I double checked my auto-playlist and it is sorted correctly, "Last Played" Z..A. Also, RadioDJ is selected for the source "Add Tracks From".
Can you please tell me how many songs you have in the input playlist?
And can you please tell me how many songs you have per each rating?

And by the way:
The total of the rating doesn't need to be 100.
You can use any value for the rating. The total of the ratings is not important at all.

CIAo, uwe..
Autor of Radio-DJ
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Uwe,

I have 250 songs in the playlist and the following number of songs per rating.
weighting
Unknown=9001 25
.5 =7 0
1.0 =2 0
1.5 =9 10
2.0 =269 10
2.5 =623 10
3.0 =576 10
3.5 =322 10
4.0 =98 5
4.5 =2 5
5.0 =3 5

If I understand correctly, since I have so few songs rated between 4 and 5 I need the weighting lower. That seems to work, although today not a single song showed up from those ratings. Also, I had a song repeat 10 times and it is a 1.5.

Only 22 songs from Unknown were in playlist which to me seems improbable since there are so many of them and I have the weighting set to 25.

I'm beginning to think the weightings are the answer, I just have to work with the settings; unless you see something else.

Thanks for a great script, once I get it to work, I should be very happy.
uwuerfel

Post by uwuerfel »

Hi rrfpacker,
rrfpacker wrote: I have 250 songs in the playlist [...]

Unknown=9001 25
.5 =7 0
1.0 =2 0
[etc...]
I don't understand what you mean when you say, that you have 250 songs in the playlist und then you say that you have 9001 songs with unknown rating.

Maybe we are talking about different playlists?

I was talking about the playlist, that you configure in the options pane of Radio-DJ in the field "Name of Playlist:".

Please tell me how many songs are in that playlist and how many of those songs have which rating.

Oh, and just in case:
Is this a static playlist or an auto playlist?
If it is an auto playlist, the definition for that playlist could be interesting too.

CIAo, uwe..
Autor of Radio-DJ
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I don't understand what you mean when you say, that you have 250 songs in the playlist und then you say that you have 9001 songs with unknown rating.

Maybe we are talking about different playlists?

I was talking about the playlist, that you configure in the options pane of Radio-DJ in the field "Name of Playlist:".

Please tell me how many songs are in that playlist and how many of those songs have which rating.

Oh, and just in case:
Is this a static playlist or an auto playlist?
If it is an auto playlist, the definition for that playlist could be interesting too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The playlist is called RRF AutoDJ. It is an auto playlist in which I have set the parameters to ignore certain genres in the Advanced tab. After eliminating those genres, the numbers I gave you are for the remaining titles. In that tab I have also set the "Show at Most" to 250 songs. I didn't think this would matter, it's just a way for me to look at what the script is doing without looking at 10,000 titles. I figured that after songs had played, they would not show up anymore and the number of "available" titles would dwindle.

In the options for RadioDJ I have set the Max number of songs to 250 and have entered RRF AutoDJ as the "Name of Playlist". Skip most recent is 25% and Favor Factor is 3 as I want to start hearing songs that have not been played.

Again, it seems to me I've done everything correct, but the same problem exists; about 10 songs are repeated from 5 to 8 times (one of them 13 times) and one or two particular albums are chosen in full. Out of 10,000 songs of which less than 1000 have been played, I would think I would get a better mix....so it must be me and I really like this script and I want it to work.

Thank you for your patience and help. I hope I've answered all your questions.
uwuerfel

Post by uwuerfel »

Hi rrfpacker,

I hope I have an idea where the problem is.

I will give you some advices where to change your settings.
Please give this a try and tell me if this make things any better.
If it works I will explain you the reason (if you are interested).
rrfpacker wrote: In that tab I have also set the "Show at Most" to 250 songs.
Please don't set this. just disable this setting for the moment.

rrfpacker wrote: In the options for RadioDJ I have set the Max number of songs to 250
This only has influence on the node in the tree.
If doesn't do anything in the main Radio-DJ functionality.
rrfpacker wrote: Skip most recent is 25%
Please set this to 0 for the moment.
rrfpacker wrote: and Favor Factor is 3
That's ok.
2 or 3 is a good setting.
If you hear complete albums from time to time I would recommend to set this to 2.

rrfpacker wrote: Thank you for your patience and help. I hope I've answered all your questions.
You are welcome.
I'm happy to see that my script is useful for others too.

Hope this changes the behavior of Radio-DJ to s.th. better.
Please tell me the results.

CIAo, uwe..
Autor of Radio-DJ
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

The behavior is much better this time, I still have 250 songs in RadioDJ just to see what happens. The only songs repeating are rated 5 and 4.5, since I don't have that many of those I would expect this to happen.

Whole albums are not chosen, but 5 or 6 songs from an album are chosen, I can deal with this until I get more titles rated.

So, looks like my problem may have been the items you mentioned. And, yes, I would like to know why it makes a difference.

Thanks again. I look forward to using this for a long time.
uwuerfel

Post by uwuerfel »

Hi rrfpacker,
uwuerfel wrote:If it works I will explain you the reason (if you are interested).
rrfpacker wrote:So, looks like my problem may have been the items you mentioned. And, yes, I would like to know why it makes a difference.
OK, I'm happy to see that it works better now.
I'll try to explain the reasons.
uwuerfel wrote:
rrfpacker wrote: In that tab I have also set the "Show at Most" to 250 songs.
Please don't set this. just disable this setting for the moment.
The playlist works as input for Radio-DJ.
Only those songs you see in the playlist are used by Radio-DJ.
When you set it to 250 songs, the only thing Radio-DJ gets as input are just those 250 songs.

If you want to select just a subset, thats ok. Therefore I've chosen the playlists as input,
but you must have in mind that Radio-DJ will maybe behave strange, especially if the list is very short.

uwuerfel wrote:
rrfpacker wrote: Skip most recent is 25%
Please set this to 0 for the moment.
Radio-DJ reads the input playlist and sorts the songs according to their rating.
This setting further reduces the amount of available songs per rating.
From each rating 25% of the songs are removed.
That means that from those 250 songs you configured, only about 187 songs were used.

187 songs are too little for a randomizer like Radio-DJ to work properly.

I personally don't use this setting anymore.
I found out, that using the attribute "Last played x hours / days ago" from the auto playlist
does a much better job.

I have an auto playlist for each rating, where low ratings like 2 stars have a setting of about 1 week or more and higher ratings like 4 stars have a setting of a few hours. Then I merge those playlist in another playlist witch serves as my input playlist for Radio-DJ.
That way I can control very good how often a song gets repeated.
uwuerfel wrote:
rrfpacker wrote: and Favor Factor is 3
That's ok.
2 or 3 is a good setting.
If you hear complete albums from time to time I would recommend to set this to 2.
Be careful with higher settings.
This works internally with exponetial calculations.
My experience is, that it works best using 1 or 2.

CIAo, uwe..
Autor of Radio-DJ
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Your explanations are simple and insightful. I feel a little silly now, but I'll get over it.

Thank you so much for a wonderful script that I look forward to learning more about and using.