Newnorwegian Translation

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

sanasa

Newnorwegian Translation

Post by sanasa »

I am now translating MediaMonkey into Newnorwegian (Nynorsk), which is the native language of the west in Norway. Standrard Norwegian (Bokmål) is used by the people in the east of Norway, and both of theese languages are native Norwegian languages.
Bex

Re: Newnorwegian Translation

Post by Bex »

I had the impression that the constructed NewNorwegian "language" wasn't fully spoken by any person in Norway. The "language" Is only a mix of many different dialects in Norway and thus no one actually fully speaks it.

Am I totally incorrect?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Morten

Post by Morten »

Somewhat. Actually New-norwegian is a constructed written language made by Ivar Aasen because of so many people not talking like they do on the east-side of Norway. However, Norwegian (Bokmål) is used by the majority of the people, even on the east and northside of the country.

Nonetheless, great iniative.

Send oversettelsen til meg på saksofon -at- gmail -dott- com. Jeg skal verifisere språkfilene og endre mine egne slik at brukere kan velge mellom "Norsk (bokmål)" og "Norsk (nynorsk)"
Best regards,
Morten
hernil

Post by hernil »

Bex wrote:I had the impression that the constructed NewNorwegian "language" wasn't fully spoken by any person in Norway. The "language" Is only a mix of many different dialects in Norway and thus no one actually fully speaks it.

Am I totally incorrect?
That's correct. At school students learn Nynorsk, but only as a written language, no one actually speaks it. Being a constructed language made up by dozens of dialects there are often several ways of writing that is considered as correct. Nynorsk is used (written) by roughly 10-15% of the Norwegians and the rest uses Bokmål, but then again some of those using Bokmål also speaks dialects. Basically it's a mess. :p

Even if I'm glad that I got off the hock at school with French being my mother tongue I think that reaching a wider audience is only positive for MediaMonkey.