Configuration Export/Import

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

windcrest77

Configuration Export/Import

Post by windcrest77 »

I have two computers, lets call one the "mother-ship" it is my main fast desktop computer at home. I also have a small Netbook computer that I use for casual listening and internet. Both computers have Media Monkey installed. I regularly synch a subset of all my tracks from the mother-ship computer to the netbook (all tracks rated 3 stars or better) via a portable USB drive.

I would also like a way to export all the "tools/options" and "AutoPlaylists" periodically from the mother-ship to the netbook. So that I can have both copies of Media Monkey, generally behaving the same way and having the same AutoPlaylists.

I think a good way to do this would be to provide two new menu options on the File menu:

1) Export settings file
2) Import settings file

This way when you click "Export settings file" on the mother-ship computer it will create an XML file of all the registry settings, ini, tools/options and autoplaylists, scripts, skins, etc.; you then save that file.

Then on the netbook computer you would click "Import settings file" open the XML file you exported above, and overlay all your tools/options, registry, ini and autoplaylists, scripts, skins, etc. to match the mother-ship computer.

Synching of tracks works fine the way it does, because usually that is not all-or-nothing, usually people synch a subset of their tracks to smaller devices. This function would NOT do anything in terms of Exporting/Importing tracks, only configuration. My "smaller device" happens to be a netbook with MM, so I'd like to have the ability to clone my entire media monkey configuration periodically, using Export/Import of the whole configuration. To pick up any new skins, scripts, option changes, autoplaylists, etc. The Export XML file would always be all-or-nothing, (not just the stuff that changed since the last export).

Having this option would also make it easier for people in the MM community to totally clone each others installation configurations, for testing purposes or whatever.

thanks
rick
windcrest77

Re: Configuration Export/Import

Post by windcrest77 »

It would also serve as a great way to "back up" your current configuration in it's totality, if you want to try (or test) someone elses configuration but decide you want to go back again when you are done.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As already replied here, AutoPlaylists can already be done: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 04#p266304

And this might be able to the rest: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=backup
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Thanks,

But for a non-programmer all these script-based solutions are more than I want to learn.

When I post to the WishList forum, I'm generally not looking for a "script someone wrote" to be a viable solution. I'm thinking more in terms of suggesting wish items integrated into the core product, where the user would not have to keep track dozens of scripts they've accumulated.

I did install one script however (to put silence between tracks) because I considered that to be a serious flaw in the base program that needed to be corrected. The script writer provided a "setup" program and it all went in smoothly, I just have to remember that when I install MM again I have to also run that additional setup.

When I see script writer instructions like "copy this vbs file here", "restore database here", "change this registry key" etc. then I avoid that solution, alltogether, because I know I will be sure to mess it up and hose my whole installation.

There has to be a better way for non-programmer users to keep their installations up to date. Maybe a script registry under the Help menu where one can select from a menu of "approved" scripts and MM will install/uninstall/update them just by the user checking a box of what scripts they want or not. I'm not saying scripts are bad alltogether, just that I want my installation of same to be dumbed down and easy, with the MM product itself doing all the downloading/updating of scripts from an "approved" web script registry, not by my fat fingers.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Most scripts provide an installer which anybody can use to install. Once installed they provide the exact same functionality as anything included in the program so you wouldn't gain anything from having these features included except bloating the program, making it more complex to use and potentially slower. That's why addons are such a great thing as it allows users to extend MediaMonkey with features they need without having to bog down the application for everybody else.
It's probably true that we'd all like to see the addons we use to be included, and nothing else, but if your honest you know that can't be the case and addons are a good way to fill the voids in the main program, especially if it's something most users wouldn't use.
avatharv

Post by avatharv »

I know this post is years old, but I am also sad that there is a whole sub forum for Wishlist, just to summarily dismiss the idea.

I have been a sole MediaMonkey user for years and years. When I updated from 1.28 to 1.29, my iPhone suddenly stopped working. I spent many hours of trying to figure out why it no longer works. I had to go back and reinstall version 1.28 with no scripts or addons to find out that my system is fine. I then had to wipe out all my settings to do a base 1.29 & 1.30 install to get my iPhone working.

If I tweak my settings, and do an in-place upgrade all my settings remain. Then when there is a problem, it is harder to troubleshoot.

Since my library is so large, I make all my playlists as Auto-playlists. Exporting them is not a good answer. Exporting them and being able to import them again would be invaluable.

I go to the trouble to totally configure my collections, including ordering column options. Redoing this is quite time consuming. Some simple export option is not asking for much.

Without a simple export feature, I am spending time researching the internals of MediaMonkey to find answers to these questions to manually do it. I don't see how much bloat code an export feature would create. If this is not considered, what would be an acceptable wishlist request? I am really trying to be argumentative on a 10 year old post, but I just frustrated because the same thing I am looking for.. was requested years ago.. and not even really considered.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Backup the database regularly instead of export as this has the AutoPlaylists saved in it, MediaMonkey 5 has backup build in, in MediaMonkey 4 there is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7746&hilit=backup

If you want a more complete backup with more settings backed up, install MediaMonkey as a Portable Install and backup the whole install on a regular bases (using any Backup software).
avatharv

Post by avatharv »

I really appreciate your reply.

I have used MediaMonkey5 Portable forever. I absolutely love so many things about it. I can't even imagine what other player I would use if MM wasn't an option.

I usually upgrade it place to keep all my settings, playlists, etc. I upgraded to 1.29 portable and my iphone quit syncing. I followed all the procedures with iphone troubleshooting and finally found that installing any of the new versions fresh (in a different directory) got my iphone to sync again. But now it is syncing with a blank DB and no playlists. I copy the DB and ini files over and the iphone stops being found.

Clearly, the problem is with one of the plugins or scripts I have loaded. I can't copy over a backup of the DB because this kills the install. If there were a settings export, I could compare the 2 files and it would help in this troubleshooting.

In this world of hackers and security problems, I trust MM developers and would rather have something (even if it were a separate tool) to troubleshoot from them.. instead of trusting my system to scripts that I cannot decipher.

For collections, the column chooser being in alphabetical order or being able to click at the top to sort the list of columns would help.

And since I can't import the backup DB, I have to recreate the autoplaylists yet again. Exporting the list of songs doesn't help me as I am constantly fiddling with it. I want a way to export/import the autoplaylist rules. This would be such a help.

Thanks for the reply.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd try to solve the problem instead starting with a new database.

I assume you mean you're on MediaMonkey 4.1.29, not MediaMonkey 5, in which case you should update to 4.1.30: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8811&sd=d

Then make sure iTunes (the desktop version) is up-to-date: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... le-device/

Lastly make sure the device isn't disabled under Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync.
avatharv

Post by avatharv »

You are correct. MM4, not 5.

I am using an iPhone8 with the current IOS on it. It actually syncs fine to all 3 versions.. 4.1.28, 4.1.29, & 4.1.30.. so long as it is the base install.

As soon as I install the upgrades (4.1.29 or 4.1.30) over my existing.. to keep the DB, playlists, plugins & scripts.. is when I lose my iphone sync.

So, I am trying to find the most efficient way of troubleshooting what is killing it. No matter which way I am looking at it, there is a bunch of reconfigurations, or script reinstalls, or plugin reinstalls.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can capture a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69

However, like said before, make sure the device isn't disabled and that iTunes is up-to-date.
avatharv

Post by avatharv »

Perfect.

I downloaded the debug version and verified it worked with my phone first. I downloaded and ran the DebugLogger as you suggested. I ran and captured the debug capture working with my iphone.

Next, I started a new capture with the 1.30 DB I wanted to keep and started logging it. Sure enough, no iphone. Before I stopped the capture, I wanted to verify that my iphone was not un-selected. Sure enough, somehow it got unselected. When I re-checked it, the iphone appeared and worked as normal.

I always do an inplace update and never go in and mess with my device settings. Starting with version 4.1.29, my phone had disappeared. I had tried the whole reinstall of iTunes and such to no avail. It never occurred to me that the device might have gotten unchecked. Thanks so much for driving that point home or I would have just dismissed it.

Thanks again for helping , even though I was not in the most cooperative states.

PS: I'd still like a configuration import/export option.

-Steve :D