Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.1 (2013-07-10) [MM3+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

ZvezdanD

Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.1 (2013-07-10) [MM3+]

Post by ZvezdanD »

Description:
This add-on could be used with MediaMonkey v3.0 or higher. It allows parent auto-playlists to optionally inherit their child playlists, which means that the parent auto-playlists would display all tracks of their child playlists, so you could get the same behavior as with iTunes and some another media players. Also when synchronizing with some device, and during other operations with playlists, such parent auto-playlists would behave as if they contain all tracks from their children. The inheritance could be manually turned on/off to the selected auto-playlist from the tree context menu. When some child playlist is added or removed to/from the parent auto-playlist which has the inheritance turned on, that parent auto-playlist would adjust its content automatically.

Download:
http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/Inheri ... ylists.htm

What is new:
v1.0.1 - 2013-07-10
* Fixed: error when moving autoplaylists by drag & drop in MM 4.0.0.1345 or older.

v1.0 - 2012-01-16
* First public version.

Installation:
Just double-click on the InheritChildPlaylists-xx.mmip file; if you are on Vista or Win7 and you got "Product installation error", make sure you have MM3 set to {"Run as Administrator"}; if you downloaded the installation package with IE7 and it changed its extension to a .zip, you should first change it back to a .mmip.

Usage:
Right-click on some auto-playlist in the Playlists branch of the tree panel and choose "Inherit Child Playlists" to turn on or off the inheritance for the selected auto-playlist.

Requirements and Limitations:
* The inheritance could be set only to the auto-playlists with the advanced criteria. However, the parent auto-playlist could inherit any child auto-playlists and static playlists.
* The on/off state of the inheritance of some playlist is stored in the Comment field of the Playlists table in the database. AFAIK, that field is currently unused by the program, but maybe some future version of the program would change that.
* The details about the inherited playlists are stored as the new condition of the parent playlist in the form of "Playlist is xx, yy, ...". If you want to set the inheritance to some auto-playlist which already has the condition "Playlist is not ...", such condition should be after the condition "Playlist is xx, yy, ..." in the list of conditions.
* By default, the parent playlist without any child playlist would not be empty, but it would display all tracks from the Library. Such behaviour is a consequence of the fact that the auto-playlists without added any condition display all tracks. You could get the empty parent playlist that is without any child playlist if you have the condition "Playlist is some_empty_static_playlist".
* When you add the new child playlist to some auto-playlist with the inheritance turned on using the option New (Auto)Playlist, the content of the parent playlist would not be updated imediatelly in MM3, but you need to switch to some another playlist and turn back to the previously selected playlist. MM4 has not such problem.

Important:
This add-on is using some dirty hacks to overcome some MM API limitations. It is working fine, but you are suggested to make a backup of the database file, at least until you check if the add-on works as you expect.
Last edited by ZvezdanD on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Zurqulon

Re: Inherit Child Playlists 1.0 (2012-01-16) [MM3+]

Post by Zurqulon »

The download link is down :(
ZvezdanD

Re: Inherit Child Playlists 1.0 (2012-01-16) [MM3+]

Post by ZvezdanD »

The download link is fixed now.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Onweerwolf

Re: Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.1 (2013-07-10) [MM3+]

Post by Onweerwolf »

WOW!

I can't believe this addon had existed for 3,5 years without me knowing. :o :o :o

And I also can't believe no one has responded to this thread yet. :cry:

I have been wanting this for many years. Back in 2006 it was my last point of doubt before migrating from iTunes and now I can use it again. :D

ZvezdanD, it has been said often, but you truly are a genius! thank you!
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I'm gonna play around with this a lot in the near future and hopefully use it it to replace the many 'manual' auto-playlist nested structures I have that are such a hassle to keep in proper settings. I will report when I find something iffy.

So far, I've seen one thing that could count as a small limitation; it's not possible to select tracks and use the 'send to' feature to send them to a child playlist as the parent is an autoplaylist and autoplaylists cannot be send to, thus that feature doesn't see the parent and therefor also not the child. Not a problem in any way, just thought I'd mention it.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Onweerwolf wrote:it's not possible to select tracks and use the 'send to' feature to send them to a child playlist
You are right, that is one more limitation caused by the program itself. However, if you want to add selected tracks to some limited number of predefined child playlist(s), maybe you could use Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist add-on instead of the Send to option.

The Export/Import Playlists for Child Nodes add-on could add selected files to static playlists that are children of auto-playlists using menu interface very similar to the Send to option, but it is available only to my donors.
vilbur

Post by vilbur »

I can`t believe, that Inherit Child Playlists functionality is not implemented out of box.

Please, could be this plugin updated for MediaMonkey 5 ?
Last edited by vilbur on Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

You can add child playlist to Auto-playlist with criteria Playlist and select child playlists.

It is planned for some time now to implement such criteria but not yet added.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

We all know there is big difference between "I can do it" or "I will do it... some day" and "I did it... two times already".

There is the new version of the add-on that works with MediaMonkey v5.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

vilbur wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:10 am I can`t believe, that Inherit Child Playlists functionality is not implemented out of box.
Peke wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:41 am It has been planned for some time now to implement such criteria but not yet added.
No need to add built-in to MM5 now. No need to bog down the core program.

Thanks ZvezdanD, for adding a second (to date) of your addons to the MM5 landscape,
along with Queue List.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜