Could background tasks run in a separate process?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Nanya

Could background tasks run in a separate process?

Post by Nanya »

Many times I will run a large library operation (e.g., a sync, batch conversion, batch editing/tagging etc.,) and have MM freeze and lock up entirely. The entire program won't respond, and I can't pause what's playing or even close the program normally. This forces me to restart MM by going through the task manager. (I realize most of this is probably faulty addons.)

I was wondering if it's at all possible to have background tasks run in separate process, which could be ended separately? Kind of like how Chrome runs each tab and plugin in a separate process, so that one failure doesn't ruin everything. If it's not possible/practical, I understand. It's just a wish :D
Lowlander

Re: Could background tasks run in a separate process?

Post by Lowlander »

Some already do. The lockups are normally due to database access by several processes.
Nanya

Post by Nanya »

Hm, I don't recall ever seeing multiple instances of MediaMonkey.exe...

In any event, this still seems to be a valid idea, since these lockups could be non-fatal, one would hope.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The core of the problem lies with database locks and this wouldn't be resolved with running separate processes as you'd still have 1 database. Most of the time just waiting will return MediaMonkey to normal as it will finish the database locks at some point.
Nanya

Post by Nanya »

But separate processes would allow one to terminate an operation that's locking up the database, no?

Most of the time when this happens to me, it's on a superlarge operation, and I've attempted to wait it out, for upwards of 30 minutes with no luck. In the meantime, I lose control of my player and library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can terminate background processes from the statusbar in MediaMonkey (if MediaMonkey is still responsive).

You also may want to run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled to see if it speeds things up. Also postpone large operations for when you leave the PC and/or split them up in smaller tasks to improve performance.
Nanya

Post by Nanya »

All things that I currently do. :( Thanks for your responses, though :D
xavierlh1

Post by xavierlh1 »

Re-posting with accurate info - Using MMW5 V5.0.1.2433

I do see odd differences in syncing speed depending on Windows 10 Power/Sleep settings. Here are my notes from last night and this morning:
* 2022-01-01 23:57 - 917 / 8004 - laptop Power/Sleep settings to Screen=Never and Sleep=Never when powered.
* 2022-01-02 8:25 - 3841 / 8004 or about 345 files / hour
* 2022-01-02 8:42 - 3855 / 8004 - switch laptop Power/Sleep to Screen=5min and Sleep=Never when powered.
* 2022-01-02 9:55 - 3924 / 8004 - about 57 files in the last hour - switch laptop Power/Sleep back to Screen=Never and Sleep=Never when powered.
* 2022-01-02 10:57 - 4230 / 8004 - about 296 files in the last hour

So it appears that when I allow the screen to go to sleep, MMW processes about 1/5 of the files that it can process when I force the screen to stay on. Why would screen On/Off have any impact on the sync processing speed? :-?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I don't think that sync speed is dependent on a screen saver settings. It rather depends on the size of individual files to transfer and on the transfer protocol.

Which device are you syncing? Android phone or iOS device? Did you test on the same subset of files?