Bug: Audio ducking [#11948]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

creativconfusion

Bug: Audio ducking [#11948]

Post by creativconfusion »

I have come across an interesting issue during playback.
I always listen to my music with all notifications muted, so when notifications pop up sound never plays. However, lately I have noticed that when notifications pop up the MediaMonkey playback "dims" , a process known as "ducking". This is typically when I receive a notification from hangouts. Ducking is designed to let you hear that there was a notification sound played but in this case MediaMonkey just gets quiet and then loud again.

So this leads to the annoying situation where it music is constantly cutting in and out all day as I receive messages.

There are two links which describe this feature.
http://developer.android.com/training/m ... focus.html
http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/09/24/android-notifications

Is there any way you can make it stop ducking every time I get a text? I have already out notifications on mute so I don't think there's any more I can do in my end.

Thanks!
creativconfusion

Re: Bug: Audio ducking

Oh, and the one time I think ducking would be useful would be when the navigation voice plays, but usually navigation would be in the foreground anyway so it would already have focus.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I use trigger to mute all sounds when I connect my phone to head unit as ringing is controlled by headunit
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Creative Confusion,

From what I can see, ducking works correctly. i.e. on a Nexus 5 (Android 4.4) and SG3 (Android 4.2) and ducking doesn't occur if notifications volume is set to 0 or if vibrate is enabled (I tested on MMA build 233, by texting to 'hangouts').

I'm assuming that this works for you, but that you're asking for an option in MMA to "Suppress notification sounds/Suppresses changes in volume triggered by notifications" so that you don't have to set the phone to Vibrate (or reduce notifications volume to 0)?

Tracked at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11948

-Rusty
creativconfusion

Re: Bug: Audio ducking [#11948]

Actually, I have my GS3 set to mute 100% of the time. I never have vibrate or sound turned on, only media.

Thats why this is a problem, the audio ducks out ... but no notification sound gets played (because i have it turned off). I would assume that if you have all notifications turned off, muted, set to 0, etc. that no ducking should occur ... but it still does.

So basically i end up with this situation where i am listening to a song and the audio keeps dimming and coming back every time i get a message. I wonder if its a 4.3 thing since you are running 4.2?

I will mess with it tonight and see if I can get it to happen consistently. Do you know of a way I can log something like this?
creativconfusion

Re: Bug: Audio ducking [#11948]

Alright. I have now uninstalled my viper fx drivers and set my buildprop lpa values back to standard. It looks like MediaMonkey wasn't playing nice with them. The stuttering and ducking seems to have disappeared for now. I guess if I have to choose one MediaMonkey wins.