Changing Playlist file locations

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RalphW

Changing Playlist file locations

Post by RalphW »

I had a playlist that was tied to my portable hard drive. Now I have changed the music location of my library to another hard drive which is on my network instead of the portable hard drive. The playlist is looking for the portable hard drive and the path to all of the songs in the playlist reference the portable hard drive. Can somehow, the playlist be changed to see the new network hard drive instead. Hope this all makes sense.

Re: Changing Playlist file locations

Post by Guest »

Simplest way to do it is to export the playlist as .m3u (which creates a backup) and then use a text editor to search and replace the relevant bits of the path that need changing. Import back into MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

onlooker

Post by onlooker »

Don't use that add-on just to change a playlist. It's not a toy and can corrupt the database without care and attention. It's irresponsible and downright idle to suggest it for this purpose.
MMBlink

Post by MMBlink »

Could someone be more specific about what you should find and replace in these situations? Reformatted, and I moved my music collection to the E: drive after exporting some playlists to m3u's.

I tried opening one of the playlists and replacing "..\..\..\..\..\[directory]\[sub]\[artist]\[album]\[track].mp3" with "..\..\..\..\E:\[directory]\[sub]\[artist]\[album]\[track].mp3," but that didn't work.
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

Hi there,

Not sure if you've resolved this yet, however, when a playlist is created by any media player it saves the path relative to the computers drive and file structure it sees.

This definately becomes an issue if you have a NAS with mapped drives and a few DLNA/UPnP players (or renderers).

So, when I have a playlist that I wish to be played in any such device, I edit the M3U file (any notepad app, just right click and choose "open with") with "notepad++" and remove the server name (in my setup for example) and I also need to change the "slashes". See below examples :

ORIGINAL M3U TRACK PATH :

\\myriad\music\Flac\Prince\Ultimate\01 I Wanna Be Your Lover.flac

(for clarity : \\server name\music (folder)\Flac(folder within "music folder)\Prince(artist folder)\Ultimate(album folder)\01 I Wanna Be Your Lover.flac(file name to be played)

MODIFIED M3U TRACK PATH :

../Flac/Prince/Ultimate/01 I Wanna Be Your Lover.flac

This way any DLNA/UPnP device (or renderer) can locate and "play" your playlists.

Hope this helps