MediaMonkey Gold automatic start at Windows 10 boot up?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

David Meagher

MediaMonkey Gold automatic start at Windows 10 boot up?

Post by David Meagher »

G'day

I wish to be able to remotely control, via my android phone, the music coming from our desktop computer, regardless of whom is logged on to the box.

What's the best way to do this please, if there is a way at all? Headless server? Autostart at bootup?

We have over 50,000 ripped songs... we're running running MediaMonkey 4.1.14.1813 (Gold) via Windows 10 Home (v/1607 b/14393.693) on a 64-bit quad core 3.80GHz box. The box is configured to sign in multiple HOME users. (Many children! (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 & Altec Lansing 885 surround speakers ;-)

Also currently use MediaMonkey Remote Server 2.7 to control the sounds coming from the computer via Android 6.0.1 on Galaxy phone.

MediaMonkeyService is not running according to task manager...

On this box MM used to be started as a service (at computer boot up but before logon) but I can't recall how it was configured/install nor can I find instructions anywhere. (Headless server?)

Thanks in anticipation for the help!
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey Gold automatic start at Windows 10 boot up?

Post by Lowlander »

You run MediaMonkey as Service (for non-Portable installs) from Tools > Options > Media Sharing (I believe).
David Meagher

Post by David Meagher »

Thanks for taking the time to reply Lowlander!

I had already found that tab. Sorry for not mentioning this sooner: I used the "Add..." button on that tab to add a shared server, rather than the desired service (that appeared to be unavailable?) This found our smart Samsung TV, again though. TV was already there, but via shared MM library.

I suspect that it is not a "server" that I need to make our non portable MM controllable for all (five) users from (only) my android phone. The desktop box (speced/referred to in the first post) has no wifi (wifi only via gigabit router) and has the sound card to drive the only speakers in my house...

The MM service is present, but is stopped?

Tried adding MM short cut to start folder too, but this doesn't logon obviously.

I seem to recall that I once had to edit the start line for the MM short cut to provide a switch with log on details for the service to work after boot up & before log on. Is this right or is my mind/memory in a worse state than I thought? I can find no instructions/details anywhere for achieving same?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Service if installed should run at startup of Windows prior to Windows logon (no need to logon to have it run). You do need to install it as the correct Windows User (the one you use MediaMonkey with) as MediaMonkey settings (include Media Sharing) are Windows User dependent. You will need to have a Server enabled and configured under Media Sharing to be able to play from (not control MediaMonkey) via DLNA. I'm pretty sure you need to logon to Windows and open MediaMonkey to be able to control it from a DLNA control point. The Service only provides DLNA playback to clients and wifi sync.
meiresonnej

Post by meiresonnej »

On my dedicated 'Play Mediamonkey' Win 10 PC I removed the login (empty password), and in the Startup ( for all users) I have a shortcut with this command line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey 5\MediaMonkey.exe" /Nosplash /Play
The shortcut is starting in the same folder.
Turn on the PC and MM starts where it left off last time. Works like a treat.
List view makes sure it wont be stuck at the end of an album.

Possibly adding the command line to the registry (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ) would work as well.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
May I suggest to download this really old and free application https://web.archive.org/web/20131106030 ... PL_EXE.zip extract it on desktop and start is using Run As Administrator.

Strangely it was made for Win 98 and still works https://web.archive.org/web/20131106030 ... pCPL.shtml
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts