Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

richiefinger

Re: Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Post by richiefinger »

But if that's the case why do the Sonos speakers show up and work on MM5 (MacBook Air running bootcamp) on both wired and WiFi connections? If MMA and MM5 use same technology??? Sounds like a fault with MMA
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

I've been on chat with my ISP seeing if they had any solutions. They did advise seperating the SSID but that doesn't help ( I'd tried it already)

Unless my phone communicates over WiFi 2.4ghz with my router in a different way to my laptop, the fault surely has to lie with MMA?
Or MMA works differently to MM5.

I have no adblockers, no VPN, no anti virus on the android device.
I've tried another android phone ( both Motorola) nothing shows. I've just installed bubble upnp on my phone and all the Sonos speakers show up.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

And Bubble upnp plays to all the Sonos speakers no problem. Tested with the same files, same location etc.
Peke

Post by Peke »

richiefinger wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:07 pm And Bubble upnp plays to all the Sonos speakers no problem. Tested with the same files, same location etc.
Bubble UPNP application can act as UPNP/DLNA server so you can pull music of Phone where MMA is a Client and pushing stream to Sonos. MM5 is also both Server and a Client so I guess that explains things a bit.

Thing that can prevent MMA see Devices is SSID isolation where WiFi Devices even on same network can't communicate with each other.

NOTE: Even I do not have Sonos myself (Personal reasons) I do have Moto X4 phone and all devices I have tested with were seen. I also Tri-Band WiFi ASUS Router in MESH setup with three AP (Access points) all over the house where all Bands have same SSID and all works normally (even WiFi 6 bandwidth)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Draco

Post by Draco »

Peke wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:25 pm
richiefinger wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:07 pm And Bubble upnp plays to all the Sonos speakers no problem. Tested with the same files, same location etc.
Bubble UPNP application can act as UPNP/DLNA server so you can pull music of Phone where MMA is a Client and pushing stream to Sonos. MM5 is also both Server and a Client so I guess that explains things a bit.

Thing that can prevent MMA see Devices is SSID isolation where WiFi Devices even on same network can't communicate with each other.

NOTE: Even I do not have Sonos myself (Personal reasons) I do have Moto X4 phone and all devices I have tested with were seen. I also Tri-Band WiFi ASUS Router in MESH setup with three AP (Access points) all over the house where all Bands have same SSID and all works normally (even WiFi 6 bandwidth)
It seems likely that Sonos limits access to their devices' network. You have to register Spotify, Plex, Youtube, etc. as services to be able to cast directly from those aps to Sonos speakers. I have the same problem as the above posters, and I have no reason to believe that my router is the issue. I can also cast from Sonos 5 without issue.
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Can't cast from MMA to Sonos. Very disappointing.

On Android, Samsung Music to Sonos works.

On Android, MMA to any available Google cast works.

On windows, MM 5 to Sonos works.

On Android, MMA to Sonos does NOT work.
Peke

Post by Peke »

MonkeyStrut wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:55 pm On Android, Samsung Music to Sonos works.
Can you try any other third party applications and not brand application, it is very possible that Samsung paid/Registered its app to Sonos.
MonkeyStrut wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:55 pm On windows, MM 5 to Sonos works.
Can you make screenshot of MM playing to Sonos, hile you have Play to Menu Open?
Best regards,
Peke
MonkeyStrut

MMA 2 to Sonos not working

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Hi --

It's been a while I've been trying to cast music from MMA to my Sonos speakers but never worked. I have just joined the beta program of MMA 2 with the hope this would be solved, but it's not. Here is a description of the problem:

1) From my PCs running Windows 10 and MMW 5 (5.0.42690 currently, but worked also since the first versions of MMW 5), when I click on the cast icon, on the bottom right, I can see my Lenovo alarm clock, my shield TV, and all of my Sonos speakers. I can thus play play music from MMW 5 to my Sonos speakers, and chose the speaker/room to play to.

2) From my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra running Android 13) I can cast music to any of my Sonos speakers from Spotify or my Samsung music app. The Sonos speakers are automatically recognized if I am on my WiFi network, as well as my Lenovo alarm clock and my Shield TV, without any manual install or change in settings. I can thus play music on my Sonos speakers from those apps.

3) When using MMA 2, if I click on the cast icon, I can see only my Lenovo alarm clock and my Shield TV, not my Sonos speakers.

Would be so great to have the same behavior regarding Sonos between MMW and MMA.

Thanks.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

We haven't implemented anything new in MMA 2 wrt Sonos support. Based on my limited investigation, I can't find any official Sonos documentation about what DLNA functionality they support (and/or whether they support different functionality based on the firmware version). There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there so I've re-opened issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301 to investigate further / track this, but it would be post 2.0.

Thanks!

-Rusty
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Ok. Well noted. But just so you know, on the very same network, MMW "sees" all Sonos speakers while MMA doesn't.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes MM5 can see Sonos and play but there is a catch. Will try to put it in simple words how things work in theory and worked when we tried to test 5 years ago. Which based on brief search is still the case.

MM5: MM5 starts playing Queen - Breakthru -> Click on Play to -> MM search local network for Devices capable to play streams and finds Sonos that can play tracks of MM5 server -> After that you select Sonos to play MM5 Now Playing -> MM then ask Sonos to play track Queen - Breakthru from MM5 DLNA server -> Sonos say OK and play track.

MMA Case 1 : Play Local Track on device Queen - Breakthru (sybced to MMA from MM5) -> Click on ⋮ -> Cast To -> MMA Search all devices that can play and render Audio stream sent by MMA -> It silently locates the Sonos and asks it if it will receive the stream MMA will send -> Sonos say NO I do not support Chromecast and can't receive direct DLNA stream sent by MMA because it is not Track rendered on DLNA server but RAW audio stream -> MMA say OK will not list Sonos as Cast to device so it is not listed in Cast to available devices

Sonos APP: Click on play Music -> Search DLNA Servers on LAN -> Finds MM5 -> Search for Song Queen - Breakthru -> Tell Sonos device to Play track Queen - Breakthru from MM5 DLNA server -> Sonos say OK and play track.

NOTE: Some apps like BubbleUPnP (not tested, but taht is based on what I have found on Internet search) have partial DLNA server that can tell Sonos -> OK you can't play direct stream -> I'll create DLNA server with track that you can ask to be played -> Ok Sonos I created DLNA Server with track Queen - Breakthru that you can start playing, but be warned it will drain battery more quickly -> Sonos say OK and play track.

As @Rusty pointed We will reopen https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301 to see if possible we can make native support for SONOS and also watch Sonos updates because they apparently stated DLNA output (eg. DLNA renderer support) will be added in future with no deadline and it is almost a year passed https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/232 ... ent-106467

Hope this makes things bit more clear, I would really liked that things changed and that there is way to make it work so, keeping fingers crossed for https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301
Best regards,
Peke
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Hi, just to be clear what I'm trying to do is to play a track to Sonos through MMA that is locally on my phone, i.e. not through MMW.
Peke

Post by Peke »

MonkeyStrut wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:48 am Hi, just to be clear what I'm trying to do is to play a track to Sonos through MMA that is locally on my phone, i.e. not through MMW.
Yes, that is exactly the case Sonos lack in supporting, see MMA case above.
Best regards,
Peke
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

OK, got it. But as other Android apps (e.g. Samsung player) can do it, I'm sure MMA also can ;-)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

AFAIK Sonos is using DLNA so it should work also in MMA.
The question is whether Sonos isn't even visible in MMA's "Play to" list or whether it fails to cast?

Also whether it fails to cast only local tracks on the phone or also those from MMW?