Alexa remote

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Jimmy Gringo

Alexa remote

Post by Jimmy Gringo »

Apologies if this is repeated. Search isn't working. I've scanned several pages and the only Alexa suggestion talks about playing though the alexa devices and little more. This suggestion should be a lot simpler to implement as you only need to send commands to MM. It will benefit anyone with a moderate sized collection that won't fit in a cloud storage solution without paying subscriptions. Plus it will also partially answer the other request if Bluetooth facilities are available :)

Can you develop Alexa skills to control the Media Monkey client...which can be used to play music through whatever your pc/laptop/phone/tablet is connected to (internal speakers, USB speakers, amp, streaming player, **Amazon device VIA BLUETOOTH!!** etc...)

sample commands.
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play genre "Pop Music" (queue up and play Genre's)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to {play/start} playlist "Epic Motown" (queue up and play a playlist)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play music by "Ozric Tentacles" (queues up and plays songs by this Band)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play "Jump" (queues up to now playing and plays immediately songs with this name)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to add "The Only one I know" to now playing (adds at end)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to {play/queue} last "The Only one I know" (same as above)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to {play/queue} next "This is how it feels" (adds next to "now playing")
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play music from {"the 80's"/"2017"} (queues up and plays songs from a year or dacade)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play some music (random tracks)

In addition to the above command you may wish to further refine your commands with
....by {"Van Halen"/"Kris Kross"/etc..} (specifies which band/version you mean)
...with 3 stars or more (if you've rated you tracks you won't want to play the ones you don't like)

In terms of play control
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to resume (start playing already queued music)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to pause (stop)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play next (skip)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to play previous (go back)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to repeat current track (repeat current track once...once it finishes)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to restart current track (go back to the start of the current track...immediately)
Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to shuffle tracks (shuffle "now playing")

With very few commands this could become a very powerful feature that would promote buying the pro version. You might not get a sale from me, since I already have MM gold, but I think it would be a huge selling point for anyone running the freeware version.

I hope you agree this could really add to the usefulness of an already brilliant app so please "show this some love". :wink:

Cheers

Jimmy
razman10

Re: Alexa remote

Post by razman10 »

+1 on this.

The ability to play my various playlists is the biggest allure here. I have a Plex media server app that allows me play music from my library but I'd have recreate all my playlists on the app - which I don't want to do.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I'm aware of plex and tried it. First thing I found out was it doesn't do requests by Genre?? It seems to miss a lot of the basics (hence my giving a lot of examples).

I've also tried some Media Monkey remotes (which is why I'm certain the framework is there to implement Alexa skills)...but they've proved a little unreliable in my case, or require a bit too much clicking to be as useful as voice commands.

Similarly I know I could set up a subsonic server, but again the (jukebox mode=plays on the PC not the tablet) apps I've tried are not quite so handy for finding stuff. God I hate DNLA search (non)functions. Plus, as you say, I'd have to re set up playlists...and they won't be Auto playlists like I use on MediaMonkey.

Ideally the Media Monkey Devs/community could do something as I really don't want to end up moving away from their app...but if someone else makes these functions available (it's already happening), and they are what I am looking for, it's a given I will see if the alternative works for me.

BTW, should the Devs be considering this, one more thing I didn't like about Plex was the requirement to register your server on their website to access it with or without Alexa. I didn't have to register my subsonic server I just put a few port forwarding rules on my firewall, and viola. Similarly none of the Media Monkey remotes required registration, just IP and port details. If it's possible to avoid using extra external services, even as a "more advanced option for gold members", that would be ideal as it's one less thing that can go wrong...and one less thing for ventris to maintain
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention a couple of things in my original post. I mentioned streaming players because I have some (yamaha musiccast amps).
Under "Options->Player" there is an option to "Choose player" and set it to use the UPnP/DNLA Renderer which can be pointed at any of these amps to stream music. If this Alexa remote is considered and you have the time could you also add a means to specify the player. I expect this might involve making it possible to pre-program outputs
* Default Player = Media Monkey player (play through windows using the default device)
* Headphones = Media Monkey player (play through windows, switch to headphones output)
* Optical Out = Media Monkey player (play through windows, switch to S/PDIF output)
* My Echo = Media Monkey player (play through windows, switch to bluetooth connection)
* HDMI1 = Media Monkey player (play through windows, set to [Name of attached Monitor/Device])
* Kitchen = UPnP/DNLA Receiver + Network Name of Amp
* TV Room = UPnP/DNLA Receiver + Network Name of AV Receiver

so the command would look something like this
* Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to send to "Headphones"
* Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to send to "TV Room"

Similarly (might require adding the ability to preprogram selectable items)....Since you have options for internet radio perhaps
* Alexa, ask MediaMonkey to tune in to "Classic Rock HD Plus" (but define and use a shorter name that alexa is less likely to mess up)

If anyone is interested in the reason I asked if Alexa Skills could be added...I'd like to build a low power fanless/keyboardless/headless media server that's hidden away under the stairs with my router....A server that can also send music to any room I choose, or several rooms when using the Musiccast features of my Yamaha devices.
Alexa skills (in addition to remote desktop) would make this possible. I think that would be fan-flippin-tastic if I can manage it hence suggesting this would be a powerful function, as I can see others being interested in this (if Alexa isn't too unreliable).
Even on a more normal scale; fine grained control of music in one room, by voice, would still be pretty darned spiffy.
Almighty1000

Post by Almighty1000 »

+1

JamesM is spot on. Been waiting for Alexa skill for MediaMonkey. Please bring it soon!!!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This is very complex AI, due the fact it needs to be written from scratch as such grain and precision needs to be either natively supported or completely written.

I would really like "OK MediaMonkey, play me some Chill out Moods in Living room" or "Now MediaMonkey, play me some Chill out Moods in Living room"

FYI I tried Alexa Elite Dangerous commands with Oculus Rift and needed two hours to close the mouth after WOW experience I had.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bensynnock

Post by bensynnock »

I know this post is a couple of years old but here's my input. The best I could get for Alexa playing my own music was mymediaforalexa which scans your drive for music and then can play on command. Obviously this doesn't mesh with mediamonkey, but you can export the last few days play data from the console, so I wrote a simple visual basic app which can import that data into mediamonkey and keeps the play counts and last play dates accurate.
Havoc-17

Post by Havoc-17 »

bensynnock wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:20 pm I know this post is a couple of years old but here's my input. The best I could get for Alexa playing my own music was mymediaforalexa which scans your drive for music and then can play on command. Obviously this doesn't mesh with mediamonkey, but you can export the last few days play data from the console, so I wrote a simple visual basic app which can import that data into mediamonkey and keeps the play counts and last play dates accurate.
FWIW I can play my media monkey Library on my Amazon Echo. I have the app on my phone synched with my library on my desktop. Bluetooth linked to my phone allows me to play whatever I've synched. Not voice command and you can't play it on groups of Echos but it's functional enough for me for now.
DUBs

Post by DUBs »

maybe you guys could work on and partner with the my media for alexa app.
If it can connect to and share an itunes library there is no reason why it should not also be able to import the mediamonkey xml library database

support@mymediaalexa.com

you guys need to get this figured out before your software becomes obsolete.
There are several ways this access could be accomplished and just saying its too hard the AI would have to be built from scratch is an unacceptable answer.

If you have an android app porting that app to be compatible as an alexa skill should not involve recreating an AI from scratch.

If you have server capability that can find and play through Chromecast you should be able to similarly link to an alexa device.

If you have sever capability built in why could you not then create a "localized MM Radio" station that is accessible through tunein?

It seems there are options and looking at the mediamonkey sever clients list I am confused why you could not add your alexa device here with its mac ID ???
Peke

Post by Peke »

DUBs wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:30 pm If you have server capability that can find and play through Chromecast you should be able to similarly link to an alexa device.
Not same protocol, and not as easy as it sounds Alexa uses Internet to pass thru Audio data even playback is local, where chromecast uses direct connection to device. Internally tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15517 And current supported protocols are listed here viewtopic.php?p=465198#p465198
DUBs wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:30 pm If you have sever capability built in why could you not then create a "localized MM Radio" station that is accessible through tunein?
It is already possible and I have streaming engine set with MM Now playing list available in the car head unit streaming for 5+ years and it can be also added to TuneIn as Custom Radio Stream. Unfortunately it is not yet added in MM natively due the multiple issues :(
DUBs wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:30 pm It seems there are options and looking at the mediamonkey sever clients list I am confused why you could not add your alexa device here with its mac ID ???
One of the main reasons (at least for me) is that Alexa depends on opening your internal LAN infrastructure available to Alexa AI and its external services, including mics, cams, speakers, routers, washing machine, microwave, heating, AC, Door Locks, Pictures, Audio, Videos, ..... and all that do not play right with my strict hardware firewall policy (eg. I have not so cheap dedicated device serving only as a firewall device and to prevent all above access to the networks)that even for setup I need to physically connect laptop directly on dedicated port (which is not accessible otherwise) and use Terminal to access settings (No GUI, or easy setup) and that works only when decryption USB is connected to that device.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts