[UPDATED] Synching Playlists on Sony Walkman NW-A45

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: [UPDATED] Synching Playlists on Sony Walkman NW-A45

Post by Peke »

Hi,
GibsonXXI wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:05 pm Sorry for dragging up this old topic again, but I just ran into the same issue with regards formats on MMW5 where the profile 1.2 for the NW-A45 suggests 'MP3' format is supported, but then proceeds to attempt to down-convert all my 320Kbps MP3s to VBR, which is definately not wanted on a device that supports full bit rate MP3s, and even supports DSD files!
You are right profiles should be updated from time to time I only had A45 for a few days on a test and that is how 1.0 profile is created. All Other profiles were sent to me by users like you and uploaded after RAW test was conducted.

I remember that there was initial issues with various formats even Sony claimed they are supported.

It would be worth to note that MM 5.0.3+ support DSD and I guess you could add them in profile supported formats.

If you have exported profile please open support ticket and attach exported profile (ZIP it if needed) and I'll update it on site.

I guess that sync Paths and playlist settings work?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

I am not using the profile supplied on the website at this time. I decided to start from scratch and create my own due to issues with MMW 'seeing' the SD Card. It always detects the main device (in the main), but not the SD Card if the device is plugged in post MMW startup. Windows Explorer sees both fine. This is with Firmware 1.10 on the NW-A45. The same is true for unplugging / turning off MTP mode (via the device) while MMW is running. It won't redetect the SD Card if you re-plug it while MMW is running.

My guess on this is that as the unit is seen as 'one device' as far as Windows is concerned, but has 2 drives / drive letters, with the internal storage being FAT32 and the SD Card ExFAT (Mine is 256GB), that this is confusing the hell out of MMW. If the device is connected, and in MTP mode prior to starting MMW, then it's detected fine.

Going back to the profile, I have set up custom paths, but have not got around to setting up the formats at this time. As a workaround I've simply disabled Auto-convert for the time-being.

Playlists synced from MMW are showing up on the device, but show empty (No tracks) even with the Linux slashes and UTF8 options enabled. Tried disabling 'Extended M3U support', but that made no difference.

That and similar (but not so prolific) issues with my Sony XZ1 Compact and syncing / wifi syncing have taken up most of my time up till now. My old Z97-based computer totally gets borked with regards SSDP discovery if you reboot it, rather than cold-shutdown and re-start, which has been throwing a spanner in the works as to getting all this set up.

Had the NW-A45 for about 18 months to 2 years, but never consistently used it uintil now. The Music Center Software Sony provides is a mess. It crashes frequently, is slow as hell, and can't handle the immense library (55,000) audio files I have here. Not all of it is music, have a lot of podcasts, radio shows, audiobooks and other stuff, but it became patently obvious in a short space of time Music Center wasn't going to cut it, so hence the testing with MMW5.

Dan / Gib.
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

For syncing generally, we could do with some additional options with regards artwork too. Especially on devices like the NW-A45 that have very specific requirements with regards image format, and file size. I store 1000x1000px art in my music tags, obviously this is going to be a problem for the NW-A45. An option to limit image resolution (and/or convert on-the-fly) to a different resolution would be more useful than simply having the option to 'remove cover art over 300kb' as is currently the case.

Some artwork, even at a lesser resolution, is preferable to none at all, after all. Also, it must save all tag artwork (or convert existing) to basic format. Interlaced / progressive artwork isn't supported on many PMP's like this, so a check for that needs to be present too, IMHO. As well as mistakenly embedded PNG files, which are also not supported.

Dan / Gib.