display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

1337haXXor

Re: display problems when using two monitors

Post by 1337haXXor »

Well that makes sense, thanks for the breakdown. So likely there won't be a solution? Fortunately it's not *too* too annoying.

Would it be possible to have a way to set the location (x,y) of the pop-up windows to be static? That way it could be relative to anyone's monitor setup and would always appear where desired?
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Peke wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:40 pm It is the main issue with Extended Multi Monitors where actual usable desktop resolution is calculated as sum of res both Monitors.

This will be very hard to implement as MM would need to override Windows setting and use own handling which would then break windows native handling of app windows and so on. eg. in your case when you want to get Context menu Windows report "You have 1000px Available below cursor position so you can draw context height there!" :( The solution you see would be that MM determine Mouse position+calculate how much you have till next monitor and then draw context menu. Main issue there is that MM would need to Hook and override Windows mouse control which in many many case is considered as Mouse logging which file under suspicious behavior common to click hijackers and viruses.

If you move 4k Below Main monitor you would get the same issue.
Thank you for the explanation. One thing I don't understand is that other apps (eg., firefox, word) and other windows interactions (right-clicking on desktop on second monitor for example) place the context menu in the same monitor as the mouse click was in.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but will be interested to hear if any solution/workaround becomes possible.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Monitor settings.
[2] 1920x1080
[1] 1920x1200
I tested in Firefox this way:
Mouse position over Firefox Window Maximized on Monitor 2 Point aprox 800x950 -> Right click -> Context menu opens so that it spans across to Monitor 1.

If you have Skype can you send me your Skype info on PM so that we can do more tests in Real-Chat.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

Hi Peke,

I think your msg was to bdbtbb, but I can be available to skype to do realtime testing. PM if you want to.

I posted a video here showing the context menu jumping around when I am not on my main monitor. As to when this occurs, it seems to be random. But it makes MM5 totally unusable when not on your main monitor.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=9ADEBEA6D ... A6D9A424D2

I did a test with Chrome, and when chrome is on the monitor where the MM5 problem occurs, and the Chrome context menu always appeared within Chrome on the correct monitor.
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Just to report that the same problem I described above (MM5 context menus appearing on the main monitor instead of the monitor that MM5 is open on, MM5 if opened from the main monitor start menu opens on the main monitor when it was last open on the second monitor - anyway as described above) is still there in the 2245 build.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you make full desktop ScreenShot while you exibit issue with context.

Send me PM with DL link if you do not want to send it publicly.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MikeGahrns wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:44 pm If so this sounds like a Windows bug. But it seems weird that it is so indeterminate.
You could try updating the driver for your PC's multi-display video card.

FWIIW I have dual monitors, and I can no longer replicate any of these problems. With earlier releases of MM5 I had problems with opening itself and its dboxes on unexpected screens, but I don't see this anymore.

Both of my monitors are 1920x1080, so I suppose this makes screen management easier for Windows.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Peke wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:48 pm Hi,
Can you make full desktop ScreenShot while you exibit issue with context.

Send me PM with DL link if you do not want to send it publicly.
Hi

Sending PM now.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Ok I see the point now, but I can't replicate :(

Will see if I can get me 4k TV to test :(
Best regards,
Peke
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Hi

Much appreciated. My guess has been it is something to do with using a 4K TV specifically, instead of a monitor.

Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I suspect it is due the big difference in resolutions from both monitors.
Best regards,
Peke
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Hi

Odd though that context menus in other apps (Office apps and, for example, Trados translation software that I sometimes have to use) appear on the TV along with the main window of the app.

Anyway, will be interested to see how this develops.
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Hi

Just posting to say that the same problem with context menus remains in build 2249.

I have tried changing the scaling in Windows settings but this has no effect and the popups still appear on my laptop screen (or off the sides of it) instead of on my second screen which I use for MM5.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

I didn't post my settings earlier, but it's definitely related to different size monitors. I have 3 of different sizes (2560x1440, 1920x1080, and 1080x1920) and it's an issue no matter which monitor I use as home. I don't recall having this issue before when I just had a setup of two 1920x1080s, though that was over a year ago.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

I have 3 FullHD monitors and have no problem ... must be related to higher resolution/DPI. Will try to get any 4k display.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643