display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MikeGahrns

Re: display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552][#17563]

Post by MikeGahrns »

I am still noticing a lot of weirdness with multi monitors as well with the context menus still opening on different monitors. But what has started happening quite frequently is if I have MM5 running not on my main monitor, I can't properly access and select items, especially in the windows title bar.

For example, If MM5 is on my main monitor, I can move the mouse to the upper right X close button, and when the mouse is over it, the X turns red, and I can click and close MM5. The problem seems to occur often when MM5 is on one of my secondary monitors. If I mouse over to the X, it will not turn red, and I can't close MM5, or go and select other items like minimize, etc. Sometimes I am able to mouse over to File and select Exit to close MM5, but at times this won't work either and I forced to kill MM5 from Task Manager. The strange thing is that sometimes everything works fine, and other times it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern as to when mousing over the titlebar works and when it doesn't, but it seems that sometimes when I can't select the X close button in the title bar, I can get it working if I can manage to click and drag the window elsewhere on my secondary monitor. Then everything works fine, with the X turning red when the mouse is over it.
drakinite

Re: display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions

Post by drakinite »

1337haXXor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 pm Didn't want to make a new post, as this is still related to multiple monitors/resolutions. I can if needed.

The context menus are working perfectly as of late (RC5) and have been for a bit. But the properties and other dialog windows continue to be problematic. About 90% of the time, these windows open on my main monitor. Most of the time they open maximized, sometimes window sized, and often they glitch between full screen and windowed rapidly. I have to click and drag from the top to automatically put it into windowed mode. But it still always shows up on the wrong monitor.

I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread before, but my settings are:
Main Window - 2560x1440.
Second screen - 1920x1080 (monitor with Media Monkey). Oriented above main.
3rd screen - 1920x1080. Oriented left of main. Also not plugged into the the same display driver as the other 2.
Thanks for replying to this thread instead of making a new one - It's always better for us to have the right context :)
I can replicate on 2309 when a secondary display is oriented above the main display. Looks like we didn't test that monitor setup enough, hehe. Tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17552
MikeGahrns wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:51 pm I am still noticing a lot of weirdness with multi monitors as well with the context menus still opening on different monitors. But what has started happening quite frequently is if I have MM5 running not on my main monitor, I can't properly access and select items, especially in the windows title bar.

Sometimes I am able to mouse over to File and select Exit to close MM5, but at times this won't work either and I forced to kill MM5 from Task Manager. The strange thing is that sometimes everything works fine, and other times it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern as to when mousing over the titlebar works and when it doesn't, but it seems that sometimes when I can't select the X close button in the title bar, I can get it working if I can manage to click and drag the window elsewhere on my secondary monitor. Then everything works fine, with the X turning red when the mouse is over it.
I saw that behavior just now when testing 1337haXXor's issue, with my secondary display located above primary. The interface would work as normal, until I opened a dialog window (e.g. Tools>Options). Because of the aforementioned glitch, it opens in the primary display. After I close the incorrectly positioned window, the sysbuttons (minimize/restore/close) no longer respond to hover or clicks.
Can you confirm if this is the same behavior that you're experiencing? Can you detail your monitor setup (including resolution and scaling)?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MikeGahrns

Re: display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552]

Post by MikeGahrns »

I saw that behavior just now when testing 1337haXXor's issue, with my secondary display located above primary. The interface would work as normal, until I opened a dialog window (e.g. Tools>Options). Because of the aforementioned glitch, it opens in the primary display. After I close the incorrectly positioned window, the sysbuttons (minimize/restore/close) no longer respond to hover or clicks.
Can you confirm if this is the same behavior that you're experiencing? Can you detail your monitor setup (including resolution and scaling)?
The problem is much more frequent for me. It often is okay if MM5 will open on my main monitor, but if MM5 is set to open on one of my secondary monitors, the problem will occur right away. e.g. open MM5, then mouse hover to the X close button, and it will not turn red and allow you to close. While playing around with this, I noticed that if I hover in the bottom right corner of the X, then it will turn red. It seems like the "real-estate" detecting that the mouse is over the X is limited to the bottom right quadrant of the X. When I am able to hit this sweet spot to allow the close function, I get a flyout text box with "Close Window", but it is way to the left of where the mouse cursor is. i.e. like the menu flyouts that appear on different monitors and not where you right click.

I have been seeing this problem on a couple of my systems. The one I am using right now has 3 monitors. Main monitor is 3840x2160 scaled at 175%, and I have two secondary monitors to the left of the main monitor at 2560x1440 scaled at 150%
drakinite

Re: display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552]

Post by drakinite »

Aha, thank you - I can reproduce what you're experiencing when I set my main display to 175% and secondary to 150%, as well as setting main to 150% and secondary to 125%.
Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17563
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
DMLCo

Post by DMLCo »

FWIW, I get the same behavior when using monitors with significantly different resolution; with other external monitors, it works "as expected."
This used to show my recently played tracks. Sad to see @lozzd's tool go dark.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi DMLCo,
What version of MMW5 are you using?
Thanks!
-Rusty
MonteDavis

Post by MonteDavis »

Checking in on this issue a year after the latest post I can find... except that this concerns two monitors with same resolution and scaling.

Win 10 Pro x64, MM 5.0.2.2531. Usually two monitors (32" @ 3840x2160 HTML from Nvidia card, 28" @3840x2160 HTML from Ryzen 5 processor w/GPU). I haven't hit any problems with position of context menus in the main screen.

But if while minimized to Mini or Micro player I make *any* display changes (adding a third monitor for certain tasks, changing any Win display options on either of two let alone three) the minimized player typically disappears into limbo and can't be brought back to any screen with any of the Win methods that work for every other "offscreen window" problem. This continues through restart/reboot; I have to go back to a single display before I can minimize and still see the player, then add the second/third display... and, of course, remember not to make any display changes while minimized.

Can I almost always remember that? Yes. Why should I have to? I've stayed with MM since 2.0 because as a db/db manager it slices and dices my ~8000 albums, audiobooks and podcasts faster than any other I've tried, and I like the rich configuration options. But if I ever find a comparable app that doesn't treat Win display APIs as A Deep Dark Mystery, Believe Us We're Working On It, I'll switch in a heartbeat.
MonteDavis

Post by MonteDavis »

Checking in on this issue a year after the latest post I can find... except that this concerns two monitors with same resolution and scaling.

Win 10 Pro x64, MM 5.0.2.2531. Usually two monitors (32" @ 3840x2160 HTML from Nvidia card, 28" @3840x2160 HTML from Ryzen 5 processor w/GPU). I haven't hit any problems with position of context menus in the main screen.

But if while minimized to Mini or Micro player I make *any* display changes (adding a third monitor for certain tasks, changing any Win display options on either of two let alone three) the minimized player typically disappears into limbo and can't be brought back to any screen with any of the Win methods that work for every other "offscreen window" problem. This continues through restart/reboot; I have to go back to a single display before I can minimize and still see the player, then add the second/third display... and, of course, remember not to make any display changes while minimized.

Can I almost always remember that? Yes. Why should I have to? I've stayed with MM since 2.0 because as a db/db manager it slices and dices my ~8000 albums, audiobooks and podcasts faster than any other I've tried, and I like the rich configuration options. But if I ever find a comparable app that doesn't treat Win display APIs as A Deep Dark Mystery, Believe Us We're Working On It, I'll switch in a heartbeat.
viking74

Post by viking74 »

I've seen this as well but I have two monitors with different resolutions. Also other flakiness that I posted about here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=100900 a month ago but never got a reply. For me the most consistent behaviour is to have MM maximized on the secondary monitor then minimize to mini-player which appears on the primary monitor (or sometimes doesn't appear at all). Then drag it to the secondary and ALWAYS maximize it before closing or else things get really messed up.
mediastarling

Post by mediastarling »

Hi all,

Following up on a similar/the same issue with a 3-monitor setup. The primary monitor is on different settings than the other two.

Win 10 x64, MM 5.0.4.2690, Primary monitor - 1920x1080 laptop screen, 2nd and 3rd are 1366x758. The issue is inconsistent, but if I drag the MM window to either of the other two screens, MM continues to play but the window vanishes into limbo. The only access will be from the set of docked micro player controls that appear when hovered over.

Restarting didn't make the window reappear initially; I had to delete a key in the registry, which is not my favorite thing to resort to. The only change now is that MM will reappear in the primary window by quitting/restarting the program, at least it will so far, but I'm hoping there's a fix or added support for multiple monitors in the works.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

To make it easier for us to test different display configurations, does anyone here know if it's possible to simulate a multi-display setup in a development environment? Say, for example, that I only have one monitor that's 1920x1080, but someone experienced a bug where they have two 2560x1440 screens. Does anyone know if it's possible for me to create a simulated environment to test the behavior on two 2560x1440 screens, without having to actually go out and buy a real screen?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Peke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:56 pm Hi,
Have you tried https://www.thewindowsclub.com/virtual- ... windows-10
That looks like it just rearranges windows to help you organize your workspace; it doesn't seem like it simulates an extra display.