Video playback issues with MediaMonkey 5 [#17077]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jp574

Re: Video playback issues with MediaMonkey 5 [#17077]

Post by jp574 »

I have a problem with crappy video playback in mm 5. It was the same with mm4. The problem was perfectly explained 2 yrs ago by jess12345. Audio ok, but choppy video playback when I jump to the next track of a music video album. Very slow adjustment, even when the codecs of the track that I jump to are identical to those of the previous track. No problems at all with vlc or wmplayer in Windows 10... seamless playback in all other players... I bought the mm5 codecs, but that did not solve the problem. I think the developers of mm5 should concentrate more on proper video playback.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please provide more details as to which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey you're using and what File Type(s) (extensions) are affected.
jess12345

Post by jess12345 »

I can confirm that it is still happening for me.
jp574

Post by jp574 »

I have the latest registered version of mm5. I only play mp4 264 files, aac or ac3 audio, mostly encoded by the latest version of handbrake.
Most problems seem to be related to the aspect ratio of older dvd files or avi files of various formats that are encoded into mp4. Mm4 and mm5 sometimes don't accept the aspect ratio, contrary to vlc and other players, but the biggest problem is the slowness. It is almost as if mm4 or 5 cannot find the key frames fast enough. Frames are skipped while others freeze, while still in synch with the audio. When I stop playback and start again, the video plays ok. It is aggravating, especially because I collect music video files in the same way that other people collect mp3 or flac. Watching a movie is not a problem in mm, but I use vlc for that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please share a sample file with Support?

You may need to upload to a cloud service like OneDrive and include the link to the shared file(s) in the ticket.
jp574

Post by jp574 »

I could send a sample file to support for the aspect ratio problem, e.g. some videos appeared as a thin vertical line on the screen of mmonkey but played wel on vlc. I already fixed most of those by reencoding them with fixed non-anamorphic dimensions.
As for the playback problem (skipping), I can only suggest that one puts a number of small video files (maybe from youtube) in the playlist and jumps from one file to another. The playback problem is worse in mm5. In mm4 it does not happen as often, but it is too slow and bumpy nevertheless. A new Winamp would be wonderful, but wishful thinking.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
jp574 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:12 pm I could send a sample file to support for the aspect ratio problem
That would be most welcome. Open support ticket and supply us a dl link to one sample file.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jess12345

Post by jess12345 »

Hi again,

Just thought I would let you know that the video playback issue is still there.

I would happily upload some files so you can see for yourself but it's random.. some videos do it sometimes and other times it will play normally so I don't think it has anything to do with the file or type of file because it's random across all video file types

I'm guessing that you guys mostly use MM5 for music MP3/ACC and don't use it for video files as much?
I play lots of stored music videos and if you guys did surely you would have experience this more?

Anyways I'm curious if anyone has the time to do a test to see if it can be reproduced

1. Get about 30 videos or something that are around 4 to 7 minutes long that are a mixture of Mvk, Mp4 and Web files

2. Randomise the files and watch and wait... It might not happen for 4 videos...it might not happen for 10... Maybe it will happen after 2... It's random for me.

If anyone can do this in MM5 and have no video stutter on all 30 videos I'll come to the conclusion that it's my surface pro 7 or something in my setup.

Every other windows video player plays these files perfectly I might add.

Anyways.. you guys tell me what you need to figure this out and I'll do my best to help..

At this point it driven me crazy so I just stick to playing MP3 and Acc file types

Thanks guys
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you can have Debug log generating in background it may show us something viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 Lost packets, ... Also it could be useful if you can record few seconds with phone and send it to us in support ticket (DL link to video should do it). Unfortunately these issues are very hard to catch unless specific file cause it.

Personally, what you describe sound like sort of memory leak where resources are filled and Surface tries to compensate.

Also to answer your question, yes we primarily use MM for Audio, but with each version I find myself adopting MM for many videos (especially Music Videos). I have specific requirements for managing Video files and devices then need to support and how.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts