Save player data more often than just on exit

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

gendreavus

Save player data more often than just on exit

Post by gendreavus »

Hello,

I've noticed that any time MediaMonkey closes unexpectedly a lot of things revert back to the state they were in the last time I closed the player 'normally'. This is most noticeable with the currently playing track; if you open MM, choose something new to play, then force close MM via the task manager, the 'now playing' list will be in the state it was the last time you opened MM, not when it was closed. Today this also caused MM to adjust the volume for a few hundred tracks I had added recently.

This is a problem for me because I always have MediaMonkey open. I don't do anything on my computer without music playing, so closing the player is usually caused by a PC reboot or power outage, which doesn't save those changes.

I can't imagine it would be very taxing to have these things saved as they change in the player instead of when the player exits, and it's a much more elegant solution than asking the user to close the player every so often if they want changes to be saved or relatively recent. If there is already a way to do this that I have missed, I would be excited to find out. Otherwise, I'd really appreciate it as an update. Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Save player data more often than just on exit

Post by Lowlander »

gendreavus wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:37 pmthen force close MM via the task manager
Settings are saved on close, so you need to close MediaMonkey properly to have settings saved. I'd recommend setting the settings as you need and closing MediaMonkey. Then it should've saved them.

Note that this works better with MediaMonkey 5 where more settings are saved on changes instead of when MediaMonkey is closed.

MMW5: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
gendreavus

Post by gendreavus »

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, force-closing MM from the task manager was meant more as a repro step than an example of usual behavior. :lol:

It's good to know MM5 will do more of this as it happens instead of waiting to be closed. If it's at all possible to get a few things in MM4 moved over to that method it would make the wait for 5 a lot more pleasant. Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 is about to be released. MediaMonkey 4 may only get a few critical updates, not major changes like this.
gendreavus

Post by gendreavus »

Oh, excellent! I didn't realize it was so close. Thanks for the info!