Code Monkey - A customizable dark skin inspired by Visual Studio

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

TIV73

Code Monkey - A customizable dark skin inspired by Visual Studio

Post by TIV73 »

Imagine the fuzzy feeling of listening to your favorite music and dozing off in a lush 008000 meadow, leaning against an 808000 tree, while the warm, ffa500 sun is gently smiling down on you and slowly turns the 007fff sky into a vivid dc143c.

Science said it couldn't be done, but through the wonders of modern engineering, and probably magic, you can now make that life long dream of yours come true with the latest version of Code Monkey!

The skin now implements the new color picker and skin customization features introduced in MediaMonkey 5.0.2, enabling you to pick any highlight color you can imagine, assuming that your imagination ends with the rgb color spectrum.

Check out the github page for screenshots, which is also where you can download the latest version of the addon. It's also available in the addons section on the MediaMonkey homepage. If you already installed a previous version of the addon you can also just check for updates in the addon list in MediaMonkey.

Original post:
Are you a coder? Web developer? Have you ever thought 'Man, those last four hour spent debugging a race condition were amazing!' and wanted to bring this warm, fuzzy feeling back home with you? Or maybe you are no developer at all but always wanted to experience the elation and joy of what it feels like to read the words 0 failed, 0 skipped?

Well, you are in luck! With Code Monkey, a skin for MediaMonkey 5 inspired by the color theme of Visual Studio, you can now bring the look of your favorite IDE to your music player and enjoy the feeling of being right back at work while listening to your music.

To install the skin, get the latest release on github and double click the downloaded mmip file.
Last edited by TIV73 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drakinite

Re: Code Monkey - A dark skin inspired by Visual Studio

Post by drakinite »

I really like it!
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Wow, great job!

While I like the blue you've chosen, I wonder how'd it like in the orange, we currently use both in MM5 and MM Android. Which reminds me, that a generic way of palette changes for any skin could be interesting.

Jiri
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

Orange would probably work as well.

Switching out the base colors is easy enough, but it gets a little more tricky when you start doing modifiers like desaturate, mix, fade, or stuff like that.

Still, if there was a way to swap out variables in skins based on user settings to create themes or editions I'd be all for it. Or even cooler, some kind of inheritance system where you define the base skin once, and can then create derived skins where you can selectively swap out variables or whole blocks from which the user can later select.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I'm planning on making a "color picker" control class when I have time, since I noticed that Monkey Groove could greatly benefit from having a user customizeable color. (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17316)

I like that orange version!
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Werewolfhero

Post by Werewolfhero »

Looks awesome, liking the blue version.
Mediamonkey Gold 5.0.0.2338
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

drakinite wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:06 pm I'm planning on making a "color picker" control class when I have time, since I noticed that Monkey Groove could greatly benefit from having a user customizeable color. (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17316)

I like that orange version!
That's a good idea having a color picker.
I also prefer the orange version. In fact, a green color would even be nice.
So, the color picker will be handy.

PS: Is the forum going to have a separate section for the MM5 functional addons as opposed to skins like MM4 did?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I don't see any dedicated forum for MM4 skinning? Just the Artwork forum, under Contributions.

I don't see any need to replace the existing Artwork forum, since it's already non version specific. We'd just have to update the pinned posts/announcements, since they're pretty outdated.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

This is a really nice skin. It has exposed an interesting "feature".

I installed the skin on my MMW 5 2338 Portable installation. The "new" skin is shown under the menu option View / Skin.... Just as you would expect.

The Code Monkey skin is applied to another installation I have (on the same computer) MMW 5 Debug Portable. This is without Adding the Add-On. But in this case the "new" skin is NOT shown under the View / Skin... menu option.

Same for a Normal (non-portable) installation and a Normal Debug installation (first time running).

I can see that it makes sense to share the consequence of the add-on between the same type of installation and the debug version but I wasn't expecting the "portable" installation to impact the "normal" installation.

Subsequent opening of the each type of installation showed either a reversion to the standard skin or a mix (colour standard, text of the new Code Monkey skin). The RefreshSkin add-on (soft load) seems to resolve.
Ian Taylor
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Sorry about that - That is a known issue, it's tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17548
The problem arises from when the portable installation imports settings from MM4. It copies a few unintended non-portable settings, causing it to share some of the same assets with your non-portable MM5 installation.

To fix it for your own installation in the meantime, you can go to MediaMonkey.ini within the Portable subfolder, search for "TempDir", and replace it with the following:

Code: Select all

TempDir=Portable\Temp\
Make sure to do it while MM is closed, because it automatically overwrites MediaMonkey.ini after you close the program.
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

Thank you TIV73.

For crafting this! I really love this skin.

Could you fix the font size of the track duration and track remaining counter. The font size is just too small.

Thank you.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

In the next version I updated some files to align the skin more with the default one - which incidently also slightly increases the font size on some screen elements, the time display left and right to the seekbar being among them.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

A really like this skin but I am currently looking at Unorganised Files (Music Node then Files To Edit then Unorganised Files).

It is very difficult to see the "highlighted" text intended to show the difference between the information and the "organised" state.

Please could the readability of this be improved. Many thanks.

https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... Q?e=IvAj2S

https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... g?e=VsMVWj
Ian Taylor
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

Seems like that is an issue that's inherited from the monkey groove skin (which code monkey is based on) due to the way how color inheritance is handled in that there. I opened a new post in the bug report forum for this.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Thanks for looking into this and raising a bug report.
Ian Taylor