[REQ] Multi Monitor Support

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MikeGahrns

[REQ] Multi Monitor Support

Post by MikeGahrns »

I have several monitors and when organizing my music I would love to be able to spread out views of MM across my multiple monitors. It is very limiting to have MM on just one monitor, and to be able to see only 1 tab at a time.

For example, I might have a playlist that I want to add a song to and want to do a search to find the next song to add. Why not allow the playlist to float in its own separate window and the search results in another window, potentially on a different monitor so that I can see everything simultaneously?

I get that some people like having tabs to group things together, but I would say there are just as many people who like to be able to spread things out, especially if you have multi monitors and lots of screen real-estate.

There are lots of ways you could implement this, but maybe the most natural would be to mimic what is done with browsers. e.g. allow you to specify whether to open something in a new tab or a new window. Barring that, just being able to grab a tab and drag it off of the main program to open into another window outside of the main MM5 window would be awesome.

It would open a ton of new workflows, like being able to have multiple playlists open at the same time, drag and drop songs between them, have a cool now playing artwork just showing on a separate monitor, etc.

MM4 allowed "Now Playing" to be a separate window that you could float away from the main window. I never understood why all tabs were not treated like this in MM4, but I see that in MM5, "Now Playing" is not even a separate window and seems to have taken a step back.

Thanks for your consideration
jamdav91

[REQ] Multiple windows

Post by jamdav91 »

I like the tab system, but I'd like it better if I could choose to make a tab into a new MediaMonkey window, so I could leave the Playing tab up on my left monitor, drag the rest of it to the right, and I could bring up and dismiss the library/playlist tabs as and when I want to queue something up without disturbing the Playing visualisation.
MikeGahrns

Re: [REQ] Multiple windows

Post by MikeGahrns »

+1 for this request.

I opened a similar request a while ago.
viewtopic.php?p=467463#p467463

Having multiple windows would greatly help with my particular workflow where I would love it if I could just drag and drop songs between playlists that are open in different windows on different monitors. Or have a search window up on a separate window where I can drag songs from while still maintaining a view of my current playlist.

In my request I envision being able to break off tabs and drag them to different monitors similar to what you can do with the Chrome browser.

In my bug I also hypothesized that allowing multi windows would come in helpful for a lot of other people's scenarios like having the now playing or album art displayed on a different monitor or window. That seems to confirmed by jamdav91's request here, and another recent request by monkeyfan1970 to have a Floating Lyrics window:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98078

With Windows 11 allowing you to easily layout predefined sections of your screen for various windows, I can see that allowing floating multiple windows will become even more useful for people who might have just one monitor.
Turbomortel

Re: [REQ] Multi Monitor Support

Post by Turbomortel »

Hi !
+1
That would be great if we could spread the views/elements across the monitors
fgordon

Post by fgordon »

Yup, +1 for that.
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

Adding a pointer here to others who stumble onto this request. Drakinite has made a MM5 addon that achieves some of this type of functionality. Sharing a pointer here because I found it extremely helpful and thought that others would too.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... k-playing/

Huge thanks to Drakinite!